• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Formula 1 Timings App

mgillespie

Mar 5, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Found out today that Vodaphone in the UK were releasing a live timings app for "high end phones". It seems everything but Android is supported :-(

New F1 season starts this weekend...

Out of sheer desperation, I have tried to get the J2ME application to run on Android, using the instructions here:

MicroEmu: Converting JavaME applications to the Android platform (revisited)

I have it compiling, but the resulting app crashes when I try and run it on my HTC hero. (cupcake 1.5)

I have uploaded the app here, incase someone with a newer device whats to see if it runs.

Formula1.apk

Otherwise, can anyone else suggest a way of getting this to run on Android?

Got a reply from the author of MicroEmulator, it's a known issue that's being worked on.

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=2362966386931816429&postID=6616271094557495598&pli=1

Hopefully once this bug is sorted, I can get this to compile and run, and we have a F1 Live Timings app :)

Things are hopeful, as on PC, MicroEmulator does run the thing just fine..

2v2bpls.png

Upvote 0
Bartek Teodorczyk mentioned a fix is approx 2-3 weeks, that is where the app is currently crashing.

With a bit of luck, once that's fixed, it will just work. However I am also aware that things may not always be that simple, and it may just move the app on to the next problem :)

If you want this app native on Android, then make sure you visit the site on your handset and register your interest, as they won't make one if they don't think there is interest..

Also it will be more bragging rights that we get this stuff for free, iTurd owners have to pay $20 for it... :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Given Vodafone are sponsoring the app, and today they've announced 6 android devices coming this year, I doubt it'll be long before an official app.

You seem to have more faith than I do. It's taken years for them to get a J2ME version out. If I had the source, it would be trivial to port it using a J2ME bridge and have something ready for Melbourne. Vodaphone however, I'd be suprised if we see anything this season..

Thankfully there are at least 2 avenues to explore outside waiting for Vodaphone to get off their backsides...

Reactions: nx1977
Upvote 0
With f1 Android, does anyone know how to enter formula1.com login details its says they can't be found and I need to go to the site to register. I already have an account and visiting from the app and logging in does nothing to fix the error

As I understand it the app will ask for your username/password when formula1.com start broadcasting the live times. I guess we will find out on Friday :rolleyes:.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones