Forum Layout Changed??

Last Updated:

1. astrobill

astrobill Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

OK, so there are now four subforums for the Sprint HTC Hero, but a number of threads left in the main forum?

Once one divides the forum into subforums, doesn't EVERY thread now have to be categorized and placed into the appropriate subforum?

For example, a ton of theads left here in the main forum have to do with "troubleshooting" but weren't moved to the appropriate subforum.

My fear is a lot of the "sticky" threads we started are now buried in subforums and won't be seen by most users, who will tend to congregate here....in the "main" or "miscellaneous" forum.

Advertisement
  2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

This just happened today to my knowledge.

Threads will be moved/categorized by me as they pop up. There is no way I'm going through everything to move them (it would take me FOREVER)! :p

We'll all just have to get used to checking the other forums as well.

3. sprucebeach

sprucebeach Well-Known Member

So why is it better to have to check four places to see all the possible new postings of interest? That's certainly not better as far as I'm concerned. I liked being able to see all the new Hero-related posts in one place.

4. Kelmar

I'm with you on this (http://androidforums.com/suggestion-box-feedback/121822-phone-subforums-needed.html), but it's not my website (and thus not my decision).

Typically though it helps to keep things more organized. Look at some of the busier sections of the site for examples of why...

5. eyebeam

eyebeam Well-Known Member

For the same reasons stated by astrobill & sprucebeach, add another vote for this new layout blows. Is there a point to this other then generating more page views?

6. Phases

Phases Community Manager Administrator

Why is it people always blame "page views" on what feels like dern near every change in a forum? I couldn't benefit any less from pageviews than I do now. Not one bit.

The change was made because it was asked for, and we're slowly but surely trying to get all the (popular) forums to a consistant standard.

I'm not opposed to changing it back if that's what the majority of the users of that forum want, but making somewhat rude comments about it doesn't help anything. Just ask.

7. eyebeam

eyebeam Well-Known Member

Um... I didn't mean to offend, but I can see how it would. Sorry. I guess I was venting a little frustration there. I just didn't see another logical reason to make it more difficult (IMO) to stumble across something useful I might not have known, get a wide variety of opinions on a question I may have or see a question I may be able to help with.

8. sprucebeach

sprucebeach Well-Known Member

I think there are several reasons why the new system isn't as good. Posts wander and may start out on one subdivision and move to another. Some posts might by their very nature span subdivisions. People might not post things in the correct Hero area. (Do you think?!) The only way to be sure you get everything you're interested in is to look at all the new posts. Now we've got four places to have to go to do that for the Hero.

9. Phases

Phases Community Manager Administrator

Don't forget guys, you can use the "favorite forums" box on the left of the main page to subscribe to each of these, then just use the "new favorite posts" links to view all posts in all forums you've selected..

NightAngel79 and sprucebeach like this.
  10. EgeBamyasi

EgeBamyasi Well-Known Member

Need to add another vote for the older layout... sorry. Maybe it's just what we're used to.

11. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

I for one like the subforums. They make the whole Forum much more organized and easier to search for related topic posts with a glance instead of inspecting each thread.

One thing is to make these subforums effective, members need to also use it (post/read).

12. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™ Moderator

At first I was not crazy about the look and not because of me but I figured it would confuse the members up, in my case I agree with " Phases" if you use the forums in the way you can customize it to your liking then it is awesome and you can check all the post you have set in your Favorite forums once they are set up, and then everytime when you want to view new post just click the new post tab and view the new favorite post this way you will not miss anything and will only view new post that relate to your liking.

13. astrobill

astrobill Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I like subforums...what I'm saying is that moving certain posts into a subforum reduces the chance people will see it.

As evidence, look at the two or three TOTALLY NEW lag-related threads that people are starting in the top-level Hero Forum, without having seen the Consolidated Lag Fighting thread I started...because the moderator moved it to the subforum.

They're now having a whole new Hero lag-related discussion from scratch....all the same old points about update frequency, task killers, widgets, etc. etc. as if NONE of this has been discussed ad infinitum on here already.

This one guy chimed in with a link to his own separate lag-fighting blog that has a few of the points we've all discussed on here for months, but which misses five more...

Sigh....

14. Kelmar

^Unfortunately, people posting in the wrong forums will NEVER change. Just like people failing to search will never change.

Threads will be posted in the incorrect forum, things will be repeated. However, having different subforums also allows more posts to stay on the top of their page. It allows for more stickies. It allows for things to be easier to find when used PROPERLY.

When you come across the posts you can A) report them and they'll get moved or B) PM them to me and I'll move them.

As mentioned in the Hero forum. I moved your Consolidated Lag thread to the Tip-Trick subforum because that is exactly what it is, tips and tricks. The subforums will not work if users don't give them a chance to work. The subforums will not work if users insist that there thread stay where they were (and not where they belong). :)

15. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™ Moderator

Well as it does not matter as much to me as I am use to using the forum tools as I use to have my own forum site not relate to phones, but I will say that I may agree with AstroBill that as of the past couple of days I have noticed less posting in the Hero section and it maybe related to the sub forums and members getting confused, so in that reference I would say I am not apposed for it going back to the original setup, I am fine either way. Members posting in the wrong section and double posting will always be there no matter what the forum setup is.

16. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

Go take a stroll into the HTC Incredible forum and you will see how crucial subforums are for some of the more busier forums. You would have one hell of a time trying to dig through threads if all the subforums were just mushed together with the main forum. By having them, it creates a more controlled and organized environment. And since some of the more active forums have this, it would make sense to employ this same scheme for the moderately active forums as well (such as yours) to keep a basic standard, in which the forum doesn't look like a messy confusion (both in threads and in how its layed out)

Edit: I will say that its probably our responsibility as guides to go through atleast the first few pages of the main forum and start moving threads into their appropriate subforum; and when I have some free time I will lend a helping hand.

NightAngel79 and eyebeam like this.