• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Forums for Android™

steve

Developer
Administrator
Apr 19, 2011
York, PA
codeversed.com
Forums for Android™
This is the official feedback thread for our Android app

I will be tracking bugs, feature requests along with providing any support that's needed. This post will be updated over time so we have all the latest and greatest for easy access.

For the users that have already been testing, lot's have been updated. Some changes have been influenced by previous feedback... so please keep it up!

Quick tip sheet
I created this to show all of the hidden features that you may or may not be aware of. In the future, we do plan on creating in-app tip overlays to help new users but until then, this will do.
channels_overview.png

Recent changes
  • Most recent now shows all site data
  • Trending filter now matches site
  • Timeline filter
  • View thread in browser
  • Post numbers
  • Share post (supports post number and page)
  • Speed improvements
  • MyStuff sorts by last post (more updates coming)
  • New support dialog (now attaches a nice neat file)
  • Added support for spoilers
  • Improvements to formatting images in main body of content
  • Few UI improvements here and there
  • New @mention support :)
  • Improved quote formatting to look more like the website (still a few changes left)
  • Reworked news article layouts so hero image takes up less room
  • Improved timeline images and how they are resized/displayed
  • New rich toolbar and support for bold, italic, strikethrough, capture pictures, attach files and URLs
  • Improved html/bbcode handling and the way I convert between the two formats
  • Added thread tools/options and listing thread like count
  • Improved speed loading channel/forum and handling backstack
  • Few other UI improvements
  • 2-Step authentication support (app codes, email confirmation code, and backup codes supported)
  • https (now all app/server communication is done using SSL)
  • Lot's of new format handling for bullets, lists, tables, etc.
  • Speed improvements for first opening and throughout the app
  • Breadcrumb nav for quickly navigating between channel and thread
  • New community icons and colors (device icons keep the same color per manufacturer)
  • Now show names for Favorites, this really helps when you have multiple devices favorited
  • EarlyBird News features such as read more and source links as well as article image
Bugs fixed
  • Fixed spoilers handling formatted text
  • Fixed quoted text size
  • Fixed login bug for new users
  • Fixed spoiler bug that caused spoilers not to work
  • Fixed jumping to latest post from notification
  • Fixed crash on new thread
  • Fixed multiple other odd instances causing crashes
  • Fixed multiple memory leaks
  • Fixed bug where toolbar buttons did not work when toolbar was collapsed
  • Fixed favoriting issue related to the star toggle
  • Fixed crash involving certain devices at sign in
  • Fixed crash involving lower SDKs when opening reply/new post window
  • Fixed sign out of account (deletes all user data for security reasons)
  • Fixed token refreshing (bug that was not refreshing correctly due to mult-threading)
  • Patch for duplicate launcher icon (used for format testing, my bad)
  • Fixed issue with news hero image getting stuck and still showing in channel view
  • Fixed muli-reply only quoting the first selected
  • Fixed quote formatting that is broken in some cases
  • Fixed posting a new thread errored on a 'channel' (was missing forum id, which acts as a parent)
  • Fixed error when posting a new thread to a channel that does not exist yet
  • Fixed breadcrumb navigation bugs
  • Fixed adding attachment bug
  • Fixed pull to refresh bugs
  • Fixed user token not refreshing correctly if the user was signed in via their AF username and pass
  • Fixed scrolling to proper thread reply
  • Fixed support for users that have devices with no Google Play Services installed (limitations)
  • Fixed adding a community and backing out the main screen, you may need to exit and re-open the app for this to properly refresh and show in the forums tab.
  • Fixed after adding reply, the thread does not refresh accordingly
  • Fixed opening /attachment/... links
  • Fixed handling URLs when clicking from within a thread
Known bugs
  • Favorites name issues and grid spacing for smaller screens
  • Formatting issues with spaces and special chars (needs investigated)
  • Opening /attachment url and then hitting back causes black screen, hit back once more to get to app
  • Verizon icon (and maybe others) is not being used correctly or not at all in favorites

Feature requests
  • Improve contrast on pagination bar arrows
  • Emoji solution to know what are supported or support them all
  • Sorting and placement of favorite icons
  • Improve contrast on certain button images for dark theme (test different brightness)

Planned features
  • Improvements to current text formatting as well as handling other features such as video thumbnails, polls, etc
  • Notification formatting improvements
  • MyStuff improvements. This just needs a design overhaul
  • Read and unread for posts and threads throughout the app, keeping sync with the website
  • Drafts for new posts
  • Filters for the devices and apps/games tabs on the add communities window
  • Global app persistent search
  • Click actions on avatars to show user information, most likely implemented using bottom sheet spec
  • Endless loading for lists such as timeline and threads
  • Handling images more gracefully throughout the app
  • Treat attachments and inline elements differently (images, files, etc)
  • New user sign-up in app rather than just link
  • Better in-app options for easily requesting support (gets the user in contact with the person that can help the best)
  • Handle forum announcement messages in app

Latest Build 1.5.5.3

Attachments

• Forums_1.5.5.3.apk
    5.7 MB · Views: 422
Last edited:
New post doesn't show until refreshed by scrolling all the way to the top of the page.

I have this bug already added to the OP.

Please use the app a little, take notes and then create a post. Posting three replies in a min is not what I am looking for in this thread.

Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0
Unsure if these are still issues but here are two I had in my SP2 list for you:

App not showing notifications: Approved
http://androidforums.com/threads/we...oidforums-round-2.1125836/page-2#post-7507717
Approved but, not sure this should go here. Will notify @stevealbright .

Apostrophes / images funky when quoted in App: Approved
http://androidforums.com/threads/welcome-to-the-new-android-forums.1121138/page-18#post-7504613

...I told the users I'm moving them to be tracked here, btw. No need to reply there.

Upvote 0
Ack! Clicking on the link to this thread in the app does nothing. I had to open the link in Tapatalk, subscribe, and come back.
I updated the known bugs to include some link handling. There is a bug with opening URLs from within a thread.

1) There's a link in the OP that doesn't have an option to open in Forums.
2) Font is too big.
3) Huge dropdown when scrolling up.
4) No page navigation at the top of a page.
1) Added this to the bug list. Unlike tapatalk, I just don't handle all urls for the domain.. that would cause a lot of weirdness so I add case by case for now
2) Font size was increased because it was one of the biggest complaints that the font was too small... In the future we may add font-size as an option
1) Overscroll to refresh stalls.
2) I hate refresh or close on overscroll.
1) Added to bug list
2) Could you elaborate on what you mean here?

New post doesn't show until refreshed by scrolling all the way to the top of the page.
Added to bug list already

My Stuff is not chronological. Timeline works.
My Stuff tab is on the planned features list... I know it is not the best right now but since it will be improved I will not add this to the bug list for now

Upvote 0
Unsure if these are still issues but here are two I had in my SP2 list for you:

App not showing notifications: Approved
http://androidforums.com/threads/we...oidforums-round-2.1125836/page-2#post-7507717

Apostrophes / images funky when quoted in App: Approved
http://androidforums.com/threads/welcome-to-the-new-android-forums.1121138/page-18#post-7504613

...I told the users I'm moving them to be tracked here, btw. No need to reply there.

I added the announcement messages to the planned features and will confirm if the quote issue is totally fixed or not. I did fix this once... but very possible when I did format updates something broke.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The app is greatly improved but here are the biggest things I've found. Some may already (or still) be on the list.

- spoiler tabs don't open.
- there's still no post count for reference purposes... How do I know what post # I'm looking at/for?
- need an "open in browser" option for occasional needs.
- needs a copy post/thread URL
- increase the page arrow's contrast slightly so they can be seen easier in excessive lights.

- (request) would like an emoji key to simplify things.

All in all still better than alpha build.

Upvote 0
The app is greatly improved but here are the biggest things I've found. Some may already (or still) be on the list.

- spoiler tabs don't open.
- there's still no post count for reference purposes... How do I know what post # I'm looking at/for?
- need an "open in browser" option for occasional needs.
- needs a copy post/thread URL
- increase the page arrow's contrast slightly so they can be seen easier in excessive lights.

- (request) would like an emoji key to simplify things.

All in all still better than alpha build.
  • Spoilers will soon be supported
  • I will look into this, should not be hard to reference
  • Good idea for open in browser
  • Good idea should be easy to add
  • Will take a look at the page arrows for both themes
  • The ideal solution would be to update AF emojis to contain all (even if not all shown) ...when I have time I will create an import script and do this... it's half done :)

Upvote 0
Looks like it still isn't fixed or it is rebroke (is that a word :p). I created the thread via the web, and quoted it using the app.
View attachment 117747
Test thread in priviledged area.
http://androidforums.com/threads/testy-mctest-thread.1129552/
Same result in the app.
View attachment 117749

View attachment 117748

Added to the known bugs... thanks for confirming!

I get the attached toast message when creating a topic for an app that doesn't have a channel yet. :(

View attachment 117757

Added to the known bugs... I had this somewhere and it just got overlooked... will fix.

Upvote 0
Isn't there a standard set of emoji used in Android keyboard, chat apps, etc. that would be easier and more universal

There is no XenForo magic import emoji package out there (that I found). I have already scrapped a site to grab all the latest Google emojis along with the shortcode and name in a spreadsheet to reference the emoji file. I still need to write an XML import for that content... which will take me a little more effort than I would like lol.

I do currently parse TT emojis and link to the full image as well as support what is available on the site.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones