• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Forward view/input to/from arbitrary activity

scone

Lurker
Aug 12, 2014
So I know this is something way "out of the box." For my purposes, I don't mind having to make changes in the firmware/OS to make this possible. I can see many reasons why this would and should be impossible on standard Android images.

Let me explain a bit about what I'm trying to do. I'd like to create a Unity app where the player character has a phone, and you can use that phone like a regular Android. You should be able to see any app like gmail or Astro file manager or whatever, and interact with it.

I've hunted around for a way to do the display side of things like figuring out where activities get a graphics context and try to swap that for a texture in my game, but I've gotten nowhere fast. I'm really open to any suggestions at this point since I haven't really found anything of use.

Thanks!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones