• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Fota service is not available"

jbalm

Lurker
Jan 27, 2013
I recently purchased a used US Cellular Galaxy Tab 10.1 from a family member. I do not have US Cellular service and had planned to use it at home on wifi only.

I reset the device and linked my Google account, then tried to check for an software update...and then it gives me this message "Fota service is not available. Please, try again later!"

My Android version currently is 3.2.

Any help would be appreciated, as some of my favorite apps wont even install from the play store (espn scorecenter, chrome, etc), because it says "your device isn't compatible with this version".

I recently purchased a used US Cellular Galaxy Tab 10.1 from a family member. I do not have US Cellular service and had planned to use it at home on wifi only.

I reset the device and linked my Google account, then tried to check for an software update...and then it gives me this message "Fota service is not available. Please, try again later!"
Check in the settings to make sure it's set to use WiFi only for updating. If that doesn't fix it, then you can look at updating using Odin to flash an official Samsung update. The end result is the same as an OTA update. Google for Odin and updating to ICS...lots of info out there about how to unlock the bootloader and flash with Odin. I did it with my Canadian version and installed the non-branded European firmware and it works great.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones