Found & Disabled: AT&T Startup SoundSupport

Last Updated:

1. MrTony

MrTony Banned This Topic's Starter

I know some of you have been wanting to get rid of that annoying startup sound on your phone. Here's what you'll need....(some instructions copied from Maerlim to save time)

You'll need the Android SDK (guide to download and install is here)
    You'll need the USB drivers (Stickied post in this forum)
    You'll need root access (look for the Captivate Root thread by chaoscentral)
    You'll need Busybox (available on the market after you root the phone)

Connect USB to phone with USB Debugging ON
    Open a Windows Command prompt in the SDK install directory
    cd tools
    adb shell
    su
    cd etc
    I suggest backing up the file before deleting
    cp PowerOn.wav /sdcard/
    rm PowerOn.wav
    exit
    exit

THAT'S IT! I renamed the Windows 7 logon .wav file to PowerOn.wav and copied it to the /etc directory on the phone played it on startup, so you should be able to put whatever you like in there!

If you want to copy a file there.....
    Open a Windows Command prompt in the SDK install directory
    cd tools
    adb push "the location and name of the file on your pc" /sdcard (example adb push %userprofile%\Desktop\PowerOn.wav /sdcard)
    adb shell
    su
    cp /sdcard/PowerOn.wav /etc
    exit
    exit

If you don't know what ADB, Android SDK, or root access is - please don't try this and don't ask a million questions about it! Go read the forum stickies on rooting and sideloading FIRST!

Advertisement
    LukeOlson, belyle and emuneee like this.
  2. emuneee

emuneee Well-Known Member

Will try this tomorrow...thanks!

3. kkeo

kkeo Member

Works! Instead of doing a rm, I just did a "mv PowerOn.wav PowerOn.wav.old" so it's still there for whatever reason.

4. Chromag

Chromag Well-Known Member

Probably not a bad idea in case you have to return the phone.

5. fojae

fojae Member

There's an easier way if you just want to get rid of the sound. Go to the "Sound and display" settings. Set "System volume" to 0. You will still see the animations, but at least no sound.

6. radi0chik

radi0chik Well-Known Member

fojae: that only works if you don't want to hear ANY system sounds. There are other sounds than that one.

Here's how I did it:

If you spend the small amount of money for Root Explorer (once your phone is rooted) there's a much easier way to do that.

Open Root Explorer

Go to "system" folder

Go to "etc" folder

Scroll down to PowerOn.wav

Tap and hold the file to bring up menu

Tap "rename"

I renamed mine to PowerOn.wav.old

Tada!

droidgrl64 and tman42 like this.
  7. MrTony

Come on Chick! I'm Jewish!

Pinetree09 and radi0chik like this.
  8. gephoria

gephoria New Member

can someone post their default PowerOn.wav I acted to quick and deleted it without re-naming. thanks in advance.

9. fojae

fojae Member

Just curious, what other system sounds are there?

Thanks

10. jsmith8858

jsmith8858 New Member

There's lots of system sounds, including the shutdown sound which you can rename/edit/remove, stored at /system/media/audio/ui. The shutdown sound is shutdown.ogg.

11. radi0chik

The button push "beep" or whatever you want to call it is system tones. There are lots of them that I wouldn't want to get rid of just to save myself that one file :) Easier to rename it.

12. olieebur

olieebur Active Member

I bought root explorer, used it, and refund and uninstalled. Yes you can do that.

13. radi0chik

that works, but an explorer with that capabilities is worth it IMHO for what it can do :) But hey, whatever works :)

14. gephoria

gephoria New Member

some people would consider this steeling. especially since it is such a helpfull app. way to not support the scene. -1 human point for being a cheap skate.

15. lsutigers03

lsutigers03 Well-Known Member

Here you go.

PowerOn.wav

oldTech likes this.
  16. MrTony

+1 on that! As cheap as these apps are and as long as it takes the developer (usually one person) to perfect them, it's completely unacceptable to do something like that.

17. JScott21

JScott21 Member

ok, im new to this and everything and im trying to do this, i have all the reccommended stuff installed and i have the sound i want to use renamed and ready to be put on the phone... but how do i use the command prompt to do all of the mumbojumbo. im trying to learn, im coming out of the blackberry side of this so im familiar with that sort of stuff, but this kind of has me stumped. i have the phone connected to the computer with the debugging on> but im unsure what it means to use the command prompt in the SDK.

If i have the command prompt open, i write what exactly?

C:\????

i have my folder for my SDK saved right on my C drive as Android. so im just absolutely lost here

18. MrTony

You're actually really close! Just go into your SDK\Tools directory. From what you said it would be C:\Android\Tools.

Once there, just follow the instructions above. ADB SHELL, ADB PUSH, etc. are all executed in your C:\Android\Tools directory.

19. JScott21

JScott21 Member

problem is my computer is saying this "C:\Android\Tools\ABD SHELL\ABD PUSH" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

it could be my computer... darn windows 7... i dont know whats going on with it

20. MrTony

No! Those are each separate commands!
    C:\Android\Tools\ABD SHELL
    su
    su
    cd etc
    I suggest backing up the file before deleting
    cp PowerOn.wav /sdcard/
    rm PowerOn.wav
    exit
    exit

C:\Android\Tools\adb push "the location and name of the file on your pc" /sdcard (example adb push %userprofile%\Desktop\PowerOn.wav /sdcard)
    C:\Android\Tools\adb shell
    su
    cp /sdcard/PowerOn.wav /etc
    exit
    exit

Get it now? You're calling a program in a directory.

21. JScott21

JScott21 Member

even if I type C:\ it goes to C:\Users\Jeff

then if i move my android folder into there and i type C:\ - then i type android

it says the same thing as before.... C:\Users\Jeff\Android is not recognized as internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

22. Croak

Croak Well-Known Member

I suggest you do nothing at all if you don't even understand ADB commands.

I've done an informal count on the various Captivate related forums, and I'm up to over 20 units returned to the store because people were dicking around without understanding what they were doing.

At least that many more T-Mobile Vibrants have been claimed to be returned due to bricking, and keep in mind, this is just the people that posted about it. That's TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS WORTH OF BRICKS people. Heaven knows how many "lurkers" screwed their phone up and returned it, but wouldn't be surprised if the returns number in the hundreds by now.

That's pretty close to fraud, by the way, if not outright theft, and at the very least, it means that the NEXT high-end Android phone AT&T releases (if they do) will be locked up even tighter.

23. JScott21

JScott21 Member

well thank you croak, i really appreciate it, and i might be new to commands, but how do you think people learn, and believe me, im not worried about BRICKING the device, i know how to fix that too. I used to work for Blackberry, and all i need it the loader files. I work for at&t currently and have already fixed the Captivate for a few people, so I appreciate the words of wisdom. but honestly...... waste of time. I'm here looking for help, not here to be ordered around by someone with informal counts.... :)

24. JScott21

JScott21 Member

and oh... by the way... the steak isnt locked down to bad.... so theres your next at&t device!

25. MrTony

JScott, I have to sort of agree here. You obviously don't know DOS commands enough to move around the OS. If you're at c:\ and want to get to C:\Android, type CD ANDROID <enter>, but I don't know if you should keep moving ahead.