• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Found this by accident..Pretty interesting!

izzy35

Android Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2010
So whenever I use my DINC and need for it to be horizontal, for easier typing, etc, I always rotate it counter-clockwise, so the Verizon side now is on the left and the trackpad is to the right...It's the way I've always rotated it. So today I rotated it clockwise accidentally and it doesn't rotate!!

This may not be new to many of you but it was an "a-ha" moment for me...:D

is there a reason it only goes 1 way??

I love that feature. My old BB Storm would pivot no matter which direction, other than upside down.

I utilize it particularly when I'm in bed. I can be laying down on my right side, actually holding my phone to the side and it stays in Portrait mode.

I suppose it would be nice if you could select which modes to enable/disable.

Upvote 0
I love that feature. My old BB Storm would pivot no matter which direction, other than upside down.

I utilize it particularly when I'm in bed. I can be laying down on my right side, actually holding my phone to the side and it stays in Portrait mode.

I think this is actually a plus, because my girlfriend, who has a BB Storm, sometimes sends me pictures which are upside down. At least, this way, my Inc always knows that the pictures are rightside-up.

Upvote 0
Yeah this sucks because the freaking USB port is on the left side. It makes hard to prop when I want watch something and have to charge.
I HATE having the USB port on the side like that.

You can turn off the rotation entirely. The extended controls widget has at toggle for this too. I use it all the time.

Really, now that I use swype and type in portrait, I almost see no need for the phone to automatically turn to landscape when rotated. It still rotates in movie players and games even with the auto-rotate turned off.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, it's been this way since the beginning (got mine on 4/29). Look for the review G4 did of the Incredible on their website, it's mentioned during the video. Personally it doesn't bother me, but if I ever wanted to prop it on it's side while connected I could see the benefits. But I suppose this forces us to get a home dock!;)

Upvote 0
I was a bit disappointed at first when it didn't rotate all the way around like my Omnia would, but I quickly got over it. I would frequently use my Omnia upside-down because the internal antenna was on the bottom of the phone and it would help with getting a slightly better signal since my hands weren't blocking it.

Upvote 0

As someone who likes the option of using my left-hand for the optical pad, I'd like an option in the settings menu. Auto-rotate isn't always ideal either, as it made watching videos on my old iPhone a pain while laying on my side in bed.

That's why having extra settings is always the best way to go.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones