Found this by accident..Pretty interesting!General

Last Updated:

1. izzy35

izzy35 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So whenever I use my DINC and need for it to be horizontal, for easier typing, etc, I always rotate it counter-clockwise, so the Verizon side now is on the left and the trackpad is to the right...It's the way I've always rotated it. So today I rotated it clockwise accidentally and it doesn't rotate!!

This may not be new to many of you but it was an "a-ha" moment for me...:D

is there a reason it only goes 1 way??

Advertisement
  2. Dmtalon

Dmtalon Well-Known Member

hrm... That's very strange indeed... mine appears to do the same thing and I never noticed it either... There must be some sort of design that makes it make more sense to rotate that way :)

I'm left handed too so I'm probably in the minority and I have never noticed it!

3. Atty

Atty Active Member

I believe it has something to do with the UI and accelerometer. Its probably more accurate the way they have it set up.

4. DenverRalphy

DenverRalphy Well-Known Member

I may be mistaken, but I thought I saw mention that 2.2 Froyo addresses this.

5. bgrutter

bgrutter Well-Known Member

I love that feature. My old BB Storm would pivot no matter which direction, other than upside down.

I utilize it particularly when I'm in bed. I can be laying down on my right side, actually holding my phone to the side and it stays in Portrait mode.

I suppose it would be nice if you could select which modes to enable/disable.

6. GAUG3

GAUG3 Well-Known Member

Yeah this sucks because the freaking USB port is on the left side. It makes hard to prop when I want watch something and have to charge.

nashfh and lexluthor like this.
  7. izzy35

izzy35 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

That's EXACTLY how i found it!! It was charging and i was getting poked by the charger so decided to try the other way, to make my life easier, and it didn't rotate! :eek:

8. andy88488

andy88488 Well-Known Member

I think this is actually a plus, because my girlfriend, who has a BB Storm, sometimes sends me pictures which are upside down. At least, this way, my Inc always knows that the pictures are rightside-up.

9. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

I HATE having the USB port on the side like that.

You can turn off the rotation entirely. The extended controls widget has at toggle for this too. I use it all the time.

Really, now that I use swype and type in portrait, I almost see no need for the phone to automatically turn to landscape when rotated. It still rotates in movie players and games even with the auto-rotate turned off.

10. vzwuser76

vzwuser76 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, it's been this way since the beginning (got mine on 4/29). Look for the review G4 did of the Incredible on their website, it's mentioned during the video. Personally it doesn't bother me, but if I ever wanted to prop it on it's side while connected I could see the benefits. But I suppose this forces us to get a home dock!;)

11. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

I found a "right angled" USB plug online. I keep meaning to by one.

12. lexluthor

Link?

13. Outatime

Outatime Well-Known Member Contributor

I hate the fact that it only rotates counter clockwise. Since I am left handed and typically have the phone in my left hand it is more comfortable to pivot it clockwise. In fact the first time I tried to put it in landscape I thought it was broken.

14. kibble

kibble Well-Known Member

I was a bit disappointed at first when it didn't rotate all the way around like my Omnia would, but I quickly got over it. I would frequently use my Omnia upside-down because the internal antenna was on the bottom of the phone and it would help with getting a slightly better signal since my hands weren't blocking it.

15. IcedTC

IcedTC Well-Known Member

Lefty's unite! I agree...a very minor annoyance...but still one nonetheless

Outatime likes this.
  16. slush puppie

slush puppie Member

just query ebay for "right angle micro usb", they're going for like $5 it appears

17. lexluthor

I'll look around. I really need a 6ft one.

18. potterdood

potterdood Well-Known Member

I heard that 2.2 would allow the viewing mode to go around all 4 ways.

19. Outatime

Outatime Well-Known Member Contributor

And ideally make it customizable so that you can have it rotate or not rotate to the individual's preference. See righties? I'm building bridges, not walls :)

20. Ovy

Ovy Well-Known Member

HTC is programmed to only do it counter-clockwise. the accelerometer is perfectly usable this way. it was a usability decision by HTC. apps can use it any way they please.

21. Bing

Bing Well-Known Member

As someone who likes the option of using my left-hand for the optical pad, I'd like an option in the settings menu. Auto-rotate isn't always ideal either, as it made watching videos on my old iPhone a pain while laying on my side in bed.

That's why having extra settings is always the best way to go.