General Found this by accident..Pretty interesting!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by izzy35, Jun 15, 2010.

1. izzy35

izzy35 Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2010
    So whenever I use my DINC and need for it to be horizontal, for easier typing, etc, I always rotate it counter-clockwise, so the Verizon side now is on the left and the trackpad is to the right...It's the way I've always rotated it. So today I rotated it clockwise accidentally and it doesn't rotate!!

This may not be new to many of you but it was an "a-ha" moment for me...:D

is there a reason it only goes 1 way??

Advertisement

2. Dmtalon

Dmtalon Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    West Harrison, IN
    hrm... That's very strange indeed... mine appears to do the same thing and I never noticed it either... There must be some sort of design that makes it make more sense to rotate that way :)

I'm left handed too so I'm probably in the minority and I have never noticed it!

3. Atty

Atty Active Member

May 23, 2010
    I believe it has something to do with the UI and accelerometer. Its probably more accurate the way they have it set up.

4. DenverRalphy

DenverRalphy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2010
    Aurora CO
    I may be mistaken, but I thought I saw mention that 2.2 Froyo addresses this.

5. bgrutter

bgrutter Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I love that feature. My old BB Storm would pivot no matter which direction, other than upside down.

I utilize it particularly when I'm in bed. I can be laying down on my right side, actually holding my phone to the side and it stays in Portrait mode.

I suppose it would be nice if you could select which modes to enable/disable.

6. GAUG3

GAUG3 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Yeah this sucks because the freaking USB port is on the left side. It makes hard to prop when I want watch something and have to charge.

nashfh and lexluthor like this.
  7. izzy35

izzy35 Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2010
    That's EXACTLY how i found it!! It was charging and i was getting poked by the charger so decided to try the other way, to make my life easier, and it didn't rotate! :eek:

8. andy88488

andy88488 Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    North Jersey
    I think this is actually a plus, because my girlfriend, who has a BB Storm, sometimes sends me pictures which are upside down. At least, this way, my Inc always knows that the pictures are rightside-up.

9. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

May 15, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I HATE having the USB port on the side like that.

You can turn off the rotation entirely. The extended controls widget has at toggle for this too. I use it all the time.

Really, now that I use swype and type in portrait, I almost see no need for the phone to automatically turn to landscape when rotated. It still rotates in movie players and games even with the auto-rotate turned off.

10. vzwuser76

vzwuser76 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, it's been this way since the beginning (got mine on 4/29). Look for the review G4 did of the Incredible on their website, it's mentioned during the video. Personally it doesn't bother me, but if I ever wanted to prop it on it's side while connected I could see the benefits. But I suppose this forces us to get a home dock!;)

11. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    IT god
    B'more
    I found a "right angled" USB plug online. I keep meaning to by one.

12. lexluthor

May 15, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Link?

13. Outatime

Outatime Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Male
    Fed
    I hate the fact that it only rotates counter clockwise. Since I am left handed and typically have the phone in my left hand it is more comfortable to pivot it clockwise. In fact the first time I tried to put it in landscape I thought it was broken.

14. kibble

kibble Well-Known Member

May 4, 2010
    I was a bit disappointed at first when it didn't rotate all the way around like my Omnia would, but I quickly got over it. I would frequently use my Omnia upside-down because the internal antenna was on the bottom of the phone and it would help with getting a slightly better signal since my hands weren't blocking it.

15. IcedTC

IcedTC Well-Known Member

May 13, 2010
    Lefty's unite! I agree...a very minor annoyance...but still one nonetheless

Outatime likes this.
  16. slush puppie

slush puppie Member

May 1, 2010
    just query ebay for "right angle micro usb", they're going for like $5 it appears

17. lexluthor

May 15, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I'll look around. I really need a 6ft one.

18. potterdood

potterdood Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Male
    Verizon Wireless Tech Support
    Anderson, SC
    I heard that 2.2 would allow the viewing mode to go around all 4 ways.

19. Outatime

Outatime Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Male
    Fed
    And ideally make it customizable so that you can have it rotate or not rotate to the individual's preference. See righties? I'm building bridges, not walls :)

20. Ovy

Ovy Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    HTC is programmed to only do it counter-clockwise. the accelerometer is perfectly usable this way. it was a usability decision by HTC. apps can use it any way they please.

21. Bing

Bing Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Software & Systems Engineer
    Washington, DC
    As someone who likes the option of using my left-hand for the optical pad, I'd like an option in the settings menu. Auto-rotate isn't always ideal either, as it made watching videos on my old iPhone a pain while laying on my side in bed.

That's why having extra settings is always the best way to go.