• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Foursquare affecting standby battery life?

Hi guys,

I normally take my phone off charge before going to bed and the next morning the battery has dropped 2-3%. Recently it has been dropping 22% in the night and I'm trying to work out why.

I changed my 'scene' recently to one I finally like with the usual stuff (FriendStream, email, calendar etc) all set to sync every 4 hours or so. The only app I've installed recently is Foursquare. When I wake up I check Advanced Task Killer and find that Foursquare is still running, though I can't remember whether I killed it before bed. Even if it is running, mobile internet and wi-fi are disabled so it wouldn't be able to sync. Could it still drain battery?

Just had a look at the battery usage and it reads:

Cell standby - 40%
Phone idle - 40%
Android System - 13%
Display - 4%
Wi-Fi - 3%

Up time is 85:10
Awake time is 41:55
Both up time and awake time counters are running at the same time, can't remember if this was always the case.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

I don't use foursquare but my understanding is that it is a location aware app, so it may well be turning on your gps every time it updates, which would explain the power drain. I'm not sure why you take your phone off charge when going to bed though, thats when most people charge their phones!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones