• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help FoxFi: "Your carrier has blocked WiFi mode in the latest phone update"

One of the reasons I didn't update, 4.2.2 working flawlessly with foxfi tether

Me too, for now I've disabled updates. But I don't want to live without the latest fixes and features forever, so that's why I want to know if this is really a carrier action or something fixable. It appears to be fixable (in spite of what the PDAnet website says) so it's hopefully just a matter of time. We should be sure to bug them for a fix.

Upvote 0
Hey guys - I just got a Note 3 with 4.4 on AT&T. I was dumbfounded when I started up foxfi and found out it didn't work (just upgraded from a Note 2 with 4.2). However, there is a workaround - when you start your wifi hotspot, you'll get your carrier window that says "verifying tethering, etc". Just hit the home button, don't hit cancel or OK. The network will show up and you can connect as usual.

I'm posting this with my computer connected to my foxfi wifi hotspot.

While this is not an ideal solution..it works for now...

Upvote 0
I tried the above action and yes it worked after I restarted my phone but it shut off the wifi after about 60 seconds.

I was using my Note 3 to connect my iPad to the internet prior to kit kat. It worked flawlessly using Jelly Bean. I'll know next time to read forums like this to not jump right into the new stuff.

Ugh!!!

Upvote 0
I tried the above action and yes it worked after I restarted my phone but it shut off the wifi after about 60 seconds.

I was using my Note 3 to connect my iPad to the internet prior to kit kat. It worked flawlessly using Jelly Bean. I'll know next time to read forums like this to not jump right into the new stuff.

Ugh!!!

Not sure why that is happening? I'm on AT&T and just used it for over 2 hours yesterday (1.5 gig downloaded!) without any hickup.

Upvote 0
Hey guys - I just got a Note 3 with 4.4 on AT&T. I was dumbfounded when I started up foxfi and found out it didn't work (just upgraded from a Note 2 with 4.2). However, there is a workaround - when you start your wifi hotspot, you'll get your carrier window that says "verifying tethering, etc". Just hit the home button, don't hit cancel or OK. The network will show up and you can connect as usual.

I'm posting this with my computer connected to my foxfi wifi hotspot.

While this is not an ideal solution..it works for now...
Hi my friend which hotspot app are you using? I have foxfi, when I hit hotspot on it , works for a few seconds, Then it drops, the foxfi icon remain on the status bar but cant see my wifi phone on any device!

Upvote 0
Hi my friend which hotspot app are you using? I have foxfi, when I hit hotspot on it , works for a few seconds, Then it drops, the foxfi icon remain on the status bar but cant see my wifi phone on any device!

I am using foxfi as well. You have to time it right. So when you start foxfi..wait a second, then when that little box comes up from Android saying it's verifying, then hit the home button repeatedly until you get to the home screen. Then you should be able to connect to your phone and use it for any period of time - just like normal.

I used mine last weekend for 2 hours straight.

Upvote 0
Enjoyed FoxFi when it worked on my D/Razr until ICS with unlimited data. Just upgraded to D/Maxx 4.4 Found that the "More Everything" plan with unlimited talk/text and 10GB data costs less and wifi is built in to the OS. Pretty reasonable, if you ask me.
I have old unlimited plan and 10 gigs won't cut it for our family, as I use on average 15 to 20 gigs just for my phone, 3 other phones also on unlimited. When I bought DMax I paid retail instead of upgrading. Daughters phone bought on eBay, all 4 phones are no contact and unlimited and plan on staying that way unless VZ changes. Also rooted Max and staying with 4.2.2 as foxfi works great as use my nexus tablet everywhere off phone and for my needs don't need kit Kat.

Upvote 0
I posted in another thread that I'd love to have FoxFi working again but I only travel away from home 2-3 times per year. We then got into how much it would cost me to turn on the legitimate tethering feature vs using FoxFi. I had to activate the tethering feature for two days last month. I just received my bill. It cost me $2.

ynumany3.jpg

Upvote 0
$2 for two days of service. If they will let you turn it on and off that's great. I got a new Windows 8 computer and I have been able to use the foxfi with Bluetooth for that one and then I am able to use USB so the anger that I had when I started this thread is not as much as it was before.

I simply opened up myverzion app and hit add features, added the hotspot feature and when I was finished with it the next day, I repeated the process but removed features. I never spoke with anyone on the phone. It was all done from the app.

Upvote 0
I posted in another thread that I'd love to have FoxFi working again but I only travel away from home 2-3 times per year. We then got into how much it would cost me to turn on the legitimate tethering feature vs using FoxFi. I had to activate the tethering feature for two days last month. I just received my bill. It cost me $2.

It looks like it cost you $1.56 with the discount, actually.

Upvote 0
dumb question but i don't want to upgrade if foxfi won't work. Samsung galaxy SIII running unlimited on verizon. According to FoxFi Devices,

Samsung Galaxy S III 4.4 KitKat (4.4) is now supported.

So I understand that as I can take the upgrade. I've been hitting "ignore" to the upgrade request for three days now. HELP !! thanks in advance.

welp. no longer for good or bad, going for it. ...

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/04/2...ng-back-to-verizon-samsung-phones-on-kit-kat/

Upvote 0
dumb question but i don't want to upgrade if foxfi won't work. Samsung galaxy SIII running unlimited on verizon. According to FoxFi Devices,

Samsung Galaxy S III 4.4 KitKat (4.4) is now supported.

So I understand that as I can take the upgrade. I've been hitting "ignore" to the upgrade request for three days now. HELP !! thanks in advance.

welp. no longer for good or bad, going for it. ...

FoxFi Update Brings WiFi Tethering Back to Verizon Samsung Phones on Kit Kat | Droid Life

Uhm, guess you didn't see my post

Upvote 0
I am an owner of the Stratosphere 2 and I've been dying from not having my Foxfi. Today I downloaded the update and fought with the app for hours before I finally found a work around.

1. Start Foxfi and accept the vpn security thing. (it's likely gonna fail, but that's okay)
2. Make sure your wifi is turned on and that it doesn't connect to anything.
3. Change your hotspot name and set a password.
4. Start Foxfi, then immediately pull up the built in hotspot app and turn it on. This allows the Foxfi app to finish pulling up and set up a hotspot.
5. This is where you may have trouble. While your pc is trying to connect, you're going to have to refresh your IP address. I have an application on my pc that works with my wireless usb to monitor wireless networks. (REALTEK Wireless LAN Utility) If you don't have a utility like the above, try refreshing your IP manually address by following this link:

https://wiki.csuchico.edu/confluence/display/help/Release+and+Renew+an+IP+address+in+Windows+7

Any questions, email me: barnwellrd@gmail.com

Upvote 0
Hello everyone...newb here so bear with me.

I just purchased a Droid Razr Maxx HD running Android 4.4.2 and I am a verizon unlimited data plan customer. Looking at the Foxfi site this version of Android is not supported for wifi. I use a mac mini for all web stuff.

Two questions:

1. Is there any way around this barring rooting/going back to an older version?

2. Can I still tether via USB? Would love it if wifi worked but not a deal breaker if it doesn't.

Any help is much appreciated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones