FoxfiGeneral

Last Updated:

1. xkwwwx

xkwwwx New Member

Can someone test foxfi to see if it is working with the maxx?

Advertisement
  2. speede541

speede541 Well-Known Member

It's not...yet. I can install it, and when I activate the connection, it sets up a "one time VPN" (that also adds itself as an Admin to the phone, requiring PIN or pattern lock, disables face unlock), then... fails. :(

I see a bunch of previous Droids on the FoxFi compatibility list, do I have high hopes they'll get this resolved soon.

The VPN requirement is new to me, having come from a Gnex, but looks like it's been in place for a while for some other phones.
  3. xkwwwx

xkwwwx New Member

4. LeanStarter

LeanStarter New Member

You shouldn't need FoxFi with the DM. Just use the built in Mobile Hotspot.

I can't post a link but Google this for more info: let-my-wi-fi-go-fcc-rules-verizon-cant-charge-for-wi-fi-tethering
  5. OutOfPhase

OutOfPhase Premium Member

Welcome LeanStarter to AF :hello: They can charge if you are not on a share everything plan
  6. Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan Well-Known Member

Okay so I decided to try and install FoxFi on my Maxx. It failed. It made me put a lock in place. I uninstalled it but now my phone will not let me turn off the lock. It says slide disabled by administrator, encryption policy or credential storage. HELP!
  7. mistermojorizi

mistermojorizi Well-Known Member

go to "settings" then "security & lock screen". Third option from the *bottom* is "clear credentials". Hit that. Then remove your lock.

I got usb tether to work with foxfi by the way (but only after successfully installing motorola ADB interface drivers). I read that you can then have your laptop share the connection wirelessly via the pdanet windows app, but haven't tried that. (for usb tether, you don't need the security certificat/phone lock)
    speede541 and Cincybearcatfan like this.
  8. Cincybearcatfan

FTW! I saw that but I was afraid it would clear something that I didn't want cleared. :)
  9. speede541

Thanks for that info. I'm guessing USB won't work for my transformer tablet, but worth a try!
  10. itanas

itanas New Member

Hi, for USB tethering via foxfi to work, do you need to have unlimited or capped data plan, or doesn't matter?
  11. speede541

Doesn't matter. FoxFi works around it. Supposedly your tethered device is "invisible" to Verizon, although I'm betting they can make an educated guess based on the type of data being accessed. But I've tethered for the past 3-4 years using FoxFi and PDAnet, both wifi and USB, averaging around 8GB in total per month, and never had a problem with Verizon on my (now grandfathered) unlimited plan.
  12. Cincybearcatfan

Truth is, I'm not a heavy business traveler. I travel 1 week a year for vacation, 2 weeks a year for business. I REALLY liked having root those weeks so that I could use my iPad or laptop without issue. However, if I have to pony up an extra $20 per week that I need it then so be it.