1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

"Free" apps and security??

Last Updated:

1. BBOOZE

BBOOZE Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi I've migrated over from the iPhone to Android (G2 on T-Mobile) and really like the Android system. However, one thing I've noticed is that there are a lot more fully functioning and useful apps that are free vs. the iPhone, where most apps that are worth a damn cost you at least a dollar or more. Which has me wondering whether there is some sort of tracking or information gathering going on with these free Android apps to "compensate" for giving the program away.

I don't mean to sound cynical but it just doesn't seem logical that there is an army of developers willing to spend time and energy on apps they give away for free.

Any way to allay my fears?:confused::confused::confused:

Advertisement
  2. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

Google makes it very easy for developers to incorporate Google ads in their apps so most free apps on Android are ad supported.

3. imtoomuch

imtoomuch Well-Known Member

This is very true. Ads pay developers without even realizing it.

I also think developers are more willing to develop free apps for open source operating systems.

If developers offer free apps that I love and use often I will donate when they give you that option. This is my way to support the developer and encourage them to update the app and create other apps as well.

Android is a community thing. If we don't support our community it's going to die in the long run.

With all that being said, I refuse to buy overpriced apps. In my opinion, there are hardly any apps worth $4.99! My choice to not purchase these is my way of showing the developer I don't support his pricing.

AND I realized none of that answered your question. Right now it's safe to download apps, but we all know viruses and spyware will eventually rear their ugly faces on Android.

4. BBOOZE

BBOOZE Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

That's really my question. While Apple's tight grip on app development stifles innovation in my opinion it does provide a sense of security as well. When I download apps on Android you get all these warnings about how it wants your phone contacts, web history, etc...I know these apps need this stuff to work properly but I wish there was a way to "know" whether this data was being transmitted in a nefarious manner.

5. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

If you're rooted, you can download an app called Droid Wall and firewall particular apps if you're concerned. Of course, if you firewall an app that needs the Internet to work (like a browser for example), your app isn't going to work.