Free Calls & International GSM Based Calling Available on Droid

Last Updated:

1. MontanaBrit

MontanaBrit New Member This Topic's Starter

I am travelling to Europe and want to be able to still make calls. i foun the actical below which, using gizmo and sipdroind you can make free calls by going wifi. Hope this helps. HOWEVER, googlevoice is needed for Gizmo and I need an invite. Is anyone a member of google voice that can invite me: myallp@gmail.com

1) Setup or Login to your gizmo5 account page (www.gizmo5.com)
    2) There should be a section explicitly for entering your Google Voice username and password. Enter your username and password. Also be sure to make a note of your full 11 digit Gizmo5 number
    [​IMG]

3) Download and open the SIPDroid app from the market. In the SIPDroid app, hit Menu and press Settings. Enter:
    Username: your 11 digit Gizmo5 number (e.g. 17475555555)
    Password: your Gizmo5 password
    Server: proxy01.sipphone.com
    [​IMG]

4) Turn on your phone's Wifi connection. Make sure SIPDroid is running (should be in the Ongoing section of the notifications drop down menu).
    [​IMG]

5) Login to Google Voice (www.google.com/voice). Add & Verify your Gizmo5 number. If you set up SIPDroid correctly and your wifi is working properly, your G1 should ring. It took a few tries for the phone to actually ring but eventually it did for me.
    [​IMG]

Yes, you need a Google Voice account. No, no one can invite you except Google. Incoming calls on Gizmo5 are free. Ask further questions and discuss below!

Advertisement
  2. endo

endo Member

I'm still trying to figure out all the ins-and-outs of SIP, Gizmo5, and Google Voice. I'm currently running Gizmo5 without Google Voice though, it does not appear to be required.

I had Google Voice connected to it previously, but turned it off (it's a business line, I don't want it to be fully converged with my google voice-ified personal cell number).

My setup is a Motorola Droid with SipDroid, and Gizmo5 with a purchased call in number and call out minutes.

I'm still experimenting with all this. Had a couple dropped call issues with SipDroid, but just did a 20 minute test call that went off without a hitch.

3. endo

endo Member

Additionally curious...are you truly able to make free calls with that setup? Mine were limited to 3 minutes unless I bought Gizmo5 credit.

4. nemanracing

nemanracing New Member