1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Free ePubs, legal?

1. lectraplayer

lectraplayer Well-Known Member

I keep finding free ePubs online such as the following: http://bookalist.net/?p=901276 What's the law on these? What kind of nasties can I pick up (viruses, malware, etc.)?

Advertisement
  2. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

If the book is released under Creative Commons license, or is on the author's site to download, or the site has the author's permission to offer it for download, it's legal. (Copyright law is, at its base, simple - only the author of an original work has the right to make copies, or to authorize someone else to make copies.)

As far as whether there are viruses, etc., there can be a virus in a Google ad. If you're not running a good antivirus app and a good antimalware app, at the very least, you're being careless.
    ocnbrze likes this.
  3. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ~Shoveling Snow~ Moderator

I can't vouch for that site, though I did look and they have a prminant DMCA takedown, so they may be legit.:dontknow: I have a friend that self publishes through smashwords.com and they have a lot of free and cheap books, so there are legit places. I guess it's like app stores, you have to find the good ones.
    ocnbrze likes this.
  4. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

If a copyright has run out, it's legal. Project Gutenberg has many of these books.
    Some authors release the first volume of a set on Creative Commons, or possibly a site like Baen. If you like the book, you pay for the followup or continuation of the saga.

Cory Doctorow writes on Creative Commons.
    ocnbrze likes this.