1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Free gps

Last Updated:

1. minzer

minzer Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there an app that lets you use GPS using google maps for free?
    That doesnt use any mobile network data or wifi or blutooth? but just satellite? and is it absolutely free?
    when i use this gps app, theres an icon in the status bar that shows a satellite dish with green lines as if its receiving something? is this network data or is it free satellite data?

Advertisement
  2. apolloFER

apolloFER Well-Known Member

Geolocation uses no network data. Network data is needed only if you download from Google Maps (something that Maps app does). If you want to have network data free geolocation you can try Rmaps. It uses custom made maps ( for instance from Google Maps). But you have to create your own maps (with another app, everything is explained) and put them on your SD card. This is what I use most of the time.

minzer likes this.
  3. minzer

and btw what is the symbol with an H and 2 arrows going up and down? it is HSPA, but what is that? network data? sometimes its on my status bar.

4. apolloFER

It's an icon that shows the status of your network connection. It can have G, E, 3G or H. Maybe even some more. G is GPRS, E is EDGE, 3G is 3G, and H is HS(D)PA. When the icons blink it shows that you're sending/receiving data via your network connection. You can use and app like 3G Watchdog to track data traffic (if you have a monthly limit, or if it is pay per bytes).

minzer likes this.
  5. minzer

mmm ok thanks.
    but howcome it automatically turns on by itself, even when i have connect to network set to 'off'?
    is there a way to permanently disable network data conection manually? and turn it on manually if i need it?
    i dont have a data plan only pay per megabyte or whatever.

6. minzer

whats the satellite icon that appears on my status bar when i use a gps app? is it free to use?

7. apolloFER

Satellite icon always appears. It shows that GPS is active and looking for satellites.

8. minzer

so its free to use satellite?

9. TasteNomNomNom

TasteNomNomNom Member

Then you don't want to use the gps. that data will add up quick

10. chairface

chairface Member

I found that "MapDroyd" is the best for this type of thing. You need an internet connection to set it up, but then you'll be find.

minzer likes this.
  11. minzer

thank you so much! mapfroyd is an awsome free gps app!!! its kool how u dload the map into ur phone so its already all loaded into it. that was what i needed, thanks!
    now if only it had turn by turn navigation, or a waypoint route showing how to get somewhere....

12. Palmetto Fellow

Palmetto Fellow Well-Known Member

I believe so. The satellites just send out a signal. the device is able to receive the signal from a few of the satellites...and by using math, it can tell where it is based on the time it takes to receive those signals.