• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

dachillfx

Mar 19, 2011
Just curious in how much memory do you all have free naturally, and how much you can free up using a task killer, cleaner, and or manager. Naturally I can have 300-310mb free. With Taskiller I have been able free up as much as 330-387mb of memory. I know some of you will say task killers and or managers are not needed, and I totally agree. I use the app called Taskiller not to necessarily save battery but just to free up what's left of the I think 768mb of ram the device uses to run. Can't prove or disprove if it or if they save battery or not. I can see that they can free quite a bit of memory. I am very interested in my Thunderbolt Fam's thoughts about this as well as the memory you have free and the memory you can free up and which app you are using. I'd imagine that Rechild's ATK would probably be used by some or most. Looking 4ward to hearing from you all. BTW for potential newbies you can check your free memory by menu-settings-applications-running services, should be highlighted in green bar. To the much advanced Android savvy members, just correct me if I'm wrong. Watchdog Task Manager what r your thoughts on this app?

Agreed, however I do know some people that have them for the sole purpose of closing out of any apps that have locked up, or hung up. Granted, it's few and far between, but that would be the only reason I ever would (though Go Launcher lets me do that anyway, so I have no need for another)

Upvote 0
how many times do we have to say it. task killers are not necessary, especially on a phone like this.

the ONLY time i would even consider using one is to kill a malfunctioning app....thats it.

android uses RAM differently than Windows does. basically the less RAM available, the better. that means there are more apps frozen (yeah android basically freezes apps until they are opened again, this way they just open up and dont have to completely open up from a closed state which uses more power and is noticably slower) like the other guy said, android is made for multitasking, if you are killing off apps all the time, you really arent multitaksing at all. you may think you are saving battery, but the apps that are "running" in the background are actually not running at all and are using almost Zero processing power. by killing them off and having to open them from a closed sate you are using the processor to kill the apps, and also using it to open up the app from scratch.

with 756mb RAM in this phone, there is really no need to use one. i found it helpful on my original Droid when i had like 30mb free, but i havent seen a number under 100mb on the phone yet, and it simply does not need task killers.

just download watchdog light, this will alert you to any app that is actually using the processor in the background. you can then kill it and go on with your day. leave everything else in the background running.

Reactions: IRuninCircles
Upvote 0
how many times do we have to say it. task killers are not necessary, especially on a phone like this.

the ONLY time i would even consider using one is to kill a malfunctioning app....thats it.

android uses RAM differently than Windows does. basically the less RAM available, the better. that means there are more apps frozen (yeah android basically freezes apps until they are opened again, this way they just open up and dont have to completely open up from a closed state which uses more power and is noticably slower) like the other guy said, android is made for multitasking, if you are killing off apps all the time, you really arent multitaksing at all. you may think you are saving battery, but the apps that are "running" in the background are actually not running at all and are using almost Zero processing power. by killing them off and having to open them from a closed sate you are using the processor to kill the apps, and also using it to open up the app from scratch.

with 756mb RAM in this phone, there is really no need to use one. i found it helpful on my original Droid when i had like 30mb free, but i havent seen a number under 100mb on the phone yet, and it simply does not need task killers.

just download watchdog light, this will alert you to any app that is actually using the processor in the background. you can then kill it and go on with your day. leave everything else in the background running.
I absolutely agree. I just uninstalled the app I was using Taskiller. Purchased watchdog. It does the trick.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones