Free Motorola Droid to all Google IO atendees

Last Updated:

1. earldriscoll

earldriscoll Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am going to Google IO in San Francisco next month and received an email yesterday informing me that all 4000+ Google IO attendeds will be reciving a free android handset in the mail in the next 2-3 weeks! Everyone with a US address will be getting a Motorola Droid with 30 days of free service!....

I have a question.....

If I do not have an active verizon account will the Droid continue to function over WiFi? Like could I use an VOIP app to make calls or surf the web over WiFi?

Advertisement
  2. droid4eva

droid4eva New Member

hi there if wifi will work w/o active carrier service, i bought an eris off craigslist and unfortunately i didnt check the esn which was bad so im now stuck with the phone and i use it as an mp3 and to surf the net via wifi but i dont think you would be able to make calls via VOIP through an app but i may be wrong

3. DroidSuks

DroidSuks Well-Known Member

Yes.. anything internet related via wifi should work fine. Think of it as a laptop... I dont have to do an ESN transfer to use it for basic internet usage.

What VOIP solution are you considering?... skype?.

4. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Well, when Google re-releases Gizmo5 we should be able to get VoIP calls very easily.

5. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

this is really cool, if i got a free one, not sure what i would do, but I know I am jealous

6. earldriscoll

earldriscoll Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have a Gizmo5 account from before they 'closed' it. I am hoping I can use Google Voice and Gizmo5 to make VOIP calls when I am connected to WiFi.

7. obutto

obutto Well-Known Member

Yes you will be able to make calls then :).

earldriscoll likes this.
  8. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

That's excellent; who knows when they'll reopen it for new users to join. I'm still waiting on that. Most of the guides out there to getting free calls on Android over data involve using Gizmo5. Check it out, it's definitely possible given the sheer volume of guides. :)

9. brettlewis

brettlewis Well-Known Member

so upsetting for me. I tried signing up, but was one day late. I had to wait to book a flight till the prices went down...