• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Free Motorola Droid to all Google IO atendees

earldriscoll

Mar 22, 2010
I am going to Google IO in San Francisco next month and received an email yesterday informing me that all 4000+ Google IO attendeds will be reciving a free android handset in the mail in the next 2-3 weeks! Everyone with a US address will be getting a Motorola Droid with 30 days of free service!....

I have a question.....

If I do not have an active verizon account will the Droid continue to function over WiFi? Like could I use an VOIP app to make calls or surf the web over WiFi?

hi there if wifi will work w/o active carrier service, i bought an eris off craigslist and unfortunately i didnt check the esn which was bad so im now stuck with the phone and i use it as an mp3 and to surf the net via wifi but i dont think you would be able to make calls via VOIP through an app but i may be wrong

Upvote 0
Yes.. anything internet related via wifi should work fine. Think of it as a laptop... I dont have to do an ESN transfer to use it for basic internet usage.

What VOIP solution are you considering?... skype?.

I have a Gizmo5 account from before they 'closed' it. I am hoping I can use Google Voice and Gizmo5 to make VOIP calls when I am connected to WiFi.

Upvote 0
I have a Gizmo5 account from before they 'closed' it. I am hoping I can use Google Voice and Gizmo5 to make VOIP calls when I am connected to WiFi.

That's excellent; who knows when they'll reopen it for new users to join. I'm still waiting on that. Most of the guides out there to getting free calls on Android over data involve using Gizmo5. Check it out, it's definitely possible given the sheer volume of guides. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones