Free Phone Under 3G Data Contract... Cancel Contract, Keep Phone?

Last Updated:

1. nafiul93

nafiul93 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys. I recently switched from Sprint to T-Mobile, and got a really badass phone (myTouch, or, the HTC Slide/Expresso). For Free.

Why? Because I agreed to get the $30 monthly 3G data plan. After rooting the phone ("hacking" it, which is like jailbreaking an iPhone, for those who doesn't know), I have voided my warranty and the urge to keep my phone has gone up by 200%.

I don't want to give it up. But now, being short of money and a college student, I want to cancel my $30 data plan and just have unlimited texting. I called them about this, and they said they would charge me a $200 Early Termination fee. The phone costs around $450 I believe, so in this case anyone would pay $200 for a $450 phone. I guess?

But one thing; They said I can't use the phone without an internet connection. What kind of BS is that? They expect me to believe that. I can certainly use Wi-Fi despite network connection (95% sure). But I also need a phone. Maybe switch to AT&T after unlocking it? (If it needs to be unlocked).

I don't know where to go with this guys. Help me out. :confused:

Advertisement
  2. heyitsericc

heyitsericc Well-Known Member

IMO a $30 data plan is pretty darn cheap. They usually start from +$50. How long before your contract expires?

And I have a HTC Legend with no data plan, or mobile internet turned on, and I can still wifi perfectly fine. They probably just wanted to keep using T Mobile by saying that.

3. ImaYam

ImaYam Well-Known Member

Ummm......

Chidori602 likes this.
  4. nafiul93

I'm pretty sure it's a 2 Year contract. But yeah, I can't pay the $30 data plan anymore (and just really don't want to). Any way around this? I think I'm going to pay the $200 Termination Fee and then use the phone for AT&T or something.

5. DaSchmarotzer

DaSchmarotzer Blame it on me VIP Member

When I bought my phone, I didn't get a data plan, only the regular unlimited texting student plan that was available. Since I didn't get a data plan, I couldn't get the phone for free, but because I had signed a contract I didn't have to pay the full price (which was a little more than $400 if I recall correctly). They ended up charging me $200 for the phone.

Are you paying only $30 monthly? Or something like $30 for data and $20 for calling/texting?

6. nafiul93

Well it's under a family plan, but they are charging $30 for text/data/call. I'm not the administrator on the account but I know that my phone costs $30 for data, and the cheaper phones cost $10. I'm pretty sure the $30 is an ADD-ON for text/data/call.

7. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Since when do mobile data plans start at $50+ ?

8. nafiul93

Anyways guys, back to the main problem.. I want this phone, no data, but with calling and texting. I don't care about staying with T-mobile either, and i'm willing to pay the Termination Fee if it means that I'm basically buying the phone for $200, but I don't know what consequences come with it.

9. gallandof

gallandof Well-Known Member

som companies, will still ask for the phone back if its within 60 days even if you pay the termination fee. as far as your other issue, if its anything like verizon the data package is required regardless of if its unlocked/out of contract etc... I believe AT&T is the same way. The US cell phone model sucks plain and simple, we overcharge like crazy :p

10. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

let me see if I understand what you are saying.....

you are on Tmobile on family plan
    you love this phone
    you are are paying extra $30 for data
    you are paying $10 for call and text

if you cancel data ..
    you will have to pay $200
    you are willing to leave the family plan
    get single plan alone on other carrier

you are a college student
    can not afford the extra $30 data plan

...... if that is all true....
    I DONT UNDERSTAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    going any place else will be much more than $10.

11. CaptainTwinkie

CaptainTwinkie Well-Known Member

To answer your question, no you cannot cancel the plan and just get a different plan and just have unlimited texts and use it on wifi, sorry buddy, but its the way of the smart phone, every company under the sun will charge you some form of data fee for having a smart phone, I know you can technically turn off 3G on the phone and just use wifi, but thats part of the contract, that T-Mo, Sprint, AT&T and Verizon all have, now I am not sure if T-Mo has a tiered data plan, I know verizon recently introduced a data plan were you pay $15 to get 150 MB of data, and if I were you, on verizon of course and wanted unlimited text, then what I would do get the 150 mb data package, disable 3G, and then use google voice on wifi, that way you can get text massages and its just using wifi, only downside to this is you would need to be in wifi all the time.

12. Aeromech3

Aeromech3 New Member

I am confused, without a data plan surely the device will still work in free wifi zones?

13. Aeromech3

Aeromech3 New Member

14. Aeromech3

Aeromech3 New Member

Sorry, last post quote was not from a vodafone web but eHow.com

15. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

How did you void your warranty?

You can unroot a phone and put it back to stock even from Unrevoked Forever S-Off.

16. Chidori602

Chidori602 Well-Known Member

cancel the contract - get a prepaid t mobile plan(10 or 15 dollars a month will get you unlimited text with 100 mb of data, no voice) simple as pie.