• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Free phone, what's the catch?

Upvote 0
I am looking at the Samsung Galaxy Exhibit, and it looks like a good deal. Still $30 seems very cheap. I don't really see this as a low end phone.
Samsung Galaxy Exhibit White Edition | Samsung Phones | 4G Android Phones | No Contract | MetroPCS | MetroPCS

How do the rebates work? I have heard that the rebate goes toward your phones monthly fee. Does the rebate come in the form of a bank check?

It will be a prepaid mastercard. It takes a while for you to get it back.

Upvote 0
I am looking at the Samsung Galaxy Exhibit, and it looks like a good deal. Still $30 seems very cheap. I don't really see this as a low end phone.
Samsung Galaxy Exhibit White Edition | Samsung Phones | 4G Android Phones | No Contract | MetroPCS | MetroPCS

How do the rebates work? I have heard that the rebate goes toward your phones monthly fee. Does the rebate come in the form of a bank check?
They're just offering such low prices to speed up getting people to switch off the CDMA network to GSM

Upvote 0

Its an ok device but it is deff considered low end nowadays. A slower 1 ghz processor and a small low res screen are its downfalls. It also has low internal memory plus no lte support. Its camera is decent for a lower end device and its worth the price there asking but its deff not mid range or high end by any means.

Upvote 0
They're just offering such low prices to speed up getting people to switch off the CDMA network to GSM

I went into the store two or three weeks ago, and the woman told me that there was NO free phones for existing customers. She said I could get the LG Optimus L70, but it would cost me $50 plus some sort of switch over fee, I think it was $18. I could get the LG Optimus F6 for $100 plus the switch over fee. Otherwise, I could buy one of the really expensive phones, or I could bring in an unlocked phone. No rebates for existing customers.

Upvote 0
I was going to say. Metropcs is prepaid anyway, so I don't think there's a huge difference between new and old customers, compared to for example Verizon, or Sprint. I currently use prepaid sim cards, and just buy new cards each time I used up the old one. So I change numbers every month.

Wow, your friends must have a hard time keeping up with you! (LOL)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones