Free space for apps?General

Last Updated:

1. Slugdoc

Slugdoc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

Is there any function or even app on the phone that will tell me how much free space I have for apps on the phone?

The "free space" number that is in ABout Phone, or in many many system tools type apps is misleading, because that is a combination of the app space and the working memory space.

Since Linux loads that up to be more efficient, it will almost always show some relatively low number (30-40MB in my case) as long as the phone has been turned on for some time.

In reality, I only have 35MB of apps installed on my phone, so I have plenty of room, it is just hard to tell.

So far, the only place I can find that info is on the web-based side of appbrain.

Is there any on-phone location where I would be able to get that info? (Short of actually adding up all my apps' sizes by hand?)

Advertisement
  2. krazykrivda

krazykrivda Well-Known Member

menu/settings/phone storage media card?

3. Boulder257

Boulder257 Well-Known Member

There is an "internal memory widget" that you can download from the app store. It's free and works very well.

4. Slugdoc

Slugdoc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

No. The problem with that and all the other internal memory info things out there, is they don't differentiate between memory used to store your apps, versus working memory.

Can anyone else put there do a better job explaining the problem? I don't think I an doing a good job.

5. jfp2004

jfp2004 Active Member

You're saying you want to know how much space your apps take up on the phone's internal memory, without counting the space that's already being taken up by applications that were pre-installed on the phone...I think.

You already mentioned appbrain, and that's the only way I can think of at the moment, aside from manually counting as you mentioned.

6. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I'm not sure what you are talking about with this Slugdoc. An Eris with a fresh install of 1.5 will show 159 Mb in Settings > SD card & phone storage > Available space. The same phone will show right at 147 Mb (if I remember correctly) with a fresh install of 2.1. My phone, running 2.1, currently shows 76.62 Mb of available space. This includes all my 38 apps and the cache or data that they have stored. If I don't run any cache or data storing apps then this number doesn't really change. This is also what the system/OS refers to as ROM. The memory that is constantly fluctuating based on what I have running is RAM. I think this is what you may be referring to as working memory as it is the memory used to run the apps. They are two different things though.

7. Jabberthehut

Jabberthehut New Member

I know what you mean, you want to know how much memory is on the "system" partition as opposed to the "data" partition.

The former holds all the apps etc that were installed by the phones maker/carrier, the later what you download.

You can try QtADB on your PC, connect your phone and you can see all the sizes of the relevant partitions by clicking "phone info".

You can find it here, but you also need to install ADB:

About QtADB