• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Free Strategy Games With No IAPs

Ultimatecub

Lurker
Nov 28, 2015
Hi. I like empire-building strategy games but every single one I found in the Play Store is full of pay to win elements and waiting to upgrade buildings unless you skip the wait with "gems" or "gold" or that kind of thing.

I've tried Clash of Clans and it's just full of ridiculous waiting times and it's got a load of pay-to-win because players can just buy resources with gems and payers get huge advantages. Loads of other strategy games are basically Clash clones with different interfaces.

I haven't got a credit card yet and my parents don't want to buy me games because they expect all games for FREE, so are there any free strategy games without waiting times, ads or pay-to-win IAPs?

While there are a lot of free games out there, many games (like movies or music) take a lot of time and resources to develop... and it's only right that the developers find a way to get compensated for their hard work. Many games are free with ads that generate revenue for the developers: others sell their wares outright or have IAP (In-App Purchases) to make money. Such is the idea of a free market: the idea that all games should be free is akin to saying that all movies and music should be free too... leaving us with a bunch of starving artists and a sudden lack of content as artists, producers and developers leave the field to seek better opportunities.

That said, you can always look in the Application Development Forum to find developers who have either just announced a new game or are looking for beta testers to try their apps. This way you get the dual opportunity to see the newest games first AND be part of the development process as you try them out and report any issues back to the developer.

Depending on your location in the world, you might also look at Google Opinion Rewards, a survey app from Google that allows you to earn Play credit. You can then use those credits to buy games or IAPs. Good luck and happy gaming!

Upvote 0
You may want to look at the Amazon App store.. they have a lot of free stuff in the Amazon Underground section, where the IAPs have either been removed, or have been made free.

Amazon have made a deal with the publishers, so that they are still being paid for the apps, but its Amazon that are paying them directly (based on usage), rather than the end user

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
I do understand that games cost money to make and that developers need money to live on, but there are good and bad IAPs. The bad ones are based on waiting and pay-to-win advantages and the good ones are expansion packs, costumes and additions that don't try to slow down the game.

I was looking for either free games or games with IAPs that are not detrimental to gameplay without the game torturing you with 14 day wait times unless you pay.

I don't mind the good IAPs, I just didn't want a game with waiting and pay-to-win because nearly all the strategy games in the store have "gems" and waiting.

Edit: I don't mind a few ads as long as they don't pop up while you're playing a game. I've played quite a few free action games and ads popped up and covered the screen so I lost. I don't mind if they have maybe one ad in between a game which can be closed immediately but I don't like ads with sound or that can't be closed immediately.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones