• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Free Tethering App - ICS

AlphaZulu

Lurker
Jul 29, 2012
I'm running Android 4.0.4 (ICS) on my Motorolla Droid 4. I'd like to be able to tether via WiFi and/or USB. However, I don't want to use the Verizon app that comes on the phone and get nailed with a charge on my bill.

Are there any free apps I can download that will not result with me getting an additional charge on my bill?

Phone is stock and not rooted.

But I prefer ICS' built-in portable WiFi hotspot feature. It just works.

FoxFi doesn't work for me at all: when I start it up (phone is on home WiFi) FoxFi switches off WiFi and then complains it cannot connect because WiFi is turned off... Turning WiFi back on, with FoxFi still running its startup process, results in WiFi being switched off again after 10 seconds... and FoxFi still complaining it cannot connect because WiFi is turned off...

Uninstalled FoxFi of course.

Upvote 0

FoxFi doesn't work for me at all: when I start it up (phone is on home WiFi) FoxFi switches off WiFi and then complains it cannot connect because WiFi is turned off... Turning WiFi back on, with FoxFi still running its startup process, results in WiFi being switched off again after 10 seconds... and FoxFi still complaining it cannot connect because WiFi is turned off...

Agreed. If the phone has it built in that works the best.

Upvote 0

I had the exact same issue. I uninstalled FoxFi, rebooted my phone and made sure WiFi was disabled. Then I did a clean install, and enabled FoxFi and it started working. I noticed it created a problem when WiFi was already enabled.

Also, if you have any Smart Action rules in place like I do, that will also interfere with FoxFi. I wasn't about to pay for an app that I could download for free. FoxFi works fine for me no complaints here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones