Free Texting Recommendation

Last Updated:

1. TardisT40

TardisT40 Member This Topic's Starter

Can anyone recommend a few applications that offer free texting that they had positive experiences with? This would be used on a Droid 2.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Super_Six_Two

Super_Six_Two Well-Known Member

Google voice.

3. Andy in NY

Andy in NY Well-Known Member

ya, totally google voice. although you will have to use a new number (your google voice #). i switched a few months ago and havent looked back.

4. Yankees368

Yankees368 Well-Known Member

Google voice does not allow you to use short codes or MMS though

5. RJT185

RJT185 VIP Member VIP Member

Run a search on AppBrain or the Market and read through user comments.

6. loomer

loomer Well-Known Member

PingChat

7. TardisT40

TardisT40 Member This Topic's Starter

I was looking at Google Voice. Somethings are still not quite clear to me. I primarily want to use it for texting.

Do I have to type in a phone number all the time of the other person who has Google Voice? Can it use a short phrase instead of a long phone number as a shortcut?

Is the phone number private or can someone find it via search engine/directory?

Can a person who does not use Google Voice receive text messages from a Google Voice user?

Are they any unforeseen charges for just texting via Google Voice?

8. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

ChompSMS has some kind of free service - I never tried it, but it's worth a look.

9. CT53

CT53 Well-Known Member

Just get the Unlimited Texts to Anyone option from Verizon. It is totally worth the money. Most apps that are text apps will still charge you through your wireless provider.

10. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Well-Known Member

Well, gotta disagree with ya on that. Google voice for example will not under any circumstance eat into any kind of "texting plan". Just data. And since data is mandatory on every smartphone, you've already got that paid for. So i'd highly suggest google voice for texting/visual voicemail and email for pics

11. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

Not sure exactly what you mean but it works like regular texting, you start to type a name and it pulls up a list of matches. There is an app, you text (and listen to voicemail) through the app.

Not sure really, never searched for my number...

Yes, it works just like regular texting.

No, it uses data though so if you don't have unlimited you may take a hit there. The only other charges that would be associated with GV are for international calls. If you don't make any then you will be fine.

GV is really a nice tool to have, I use it for texting, calling and voicemail. I have my number on my Friends and Family list so all incoming calls are free (have to leave the GV number for caller ID for this to work, drawback). I also use an app called Google Voice Callback so I can make free outgoing calls (it calls you back so it looks like an incoming call basically). There is a third app I recommend as well, Voice Choice. You choose the numbers that you want to use your regular number for and all the rest automatically use GV to make calls, really nice if you end up using GV a lot. I realize all of that may sound complicated but it really isn't...once set up it just works :)

12. omnipanzer

omnipanzer Member

@TardisT40
    There is a step being missed in the explanation. The first time you go to text after you have installed GV it will ask you if you want to use GV or your default android text program and you can set your GV to default. It won't ask again and from that point its just like texting normally.

13. Andy in NY

Andy in NY Well-Known Member

I use google voice. I dont WANT to pay $30 for unlimited texting. I can, but i choose not to. I can spend that $30 on other things i like now, simply by using google voice!

to the OP, google voice will NOT cost you extra to use. and the people you text with will never know you are using google voice, except that you will have a different number. i use it for texting and calls, and just told people i changed my #. We just got my step daughter an lg vortex for christmas and i set it up with google voice for calls and texting, and had text blocked on her account. we will give her the google voice #, and thats it. no $30 texting plan needed!

14. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

It takes so little to follow the rules (links in my sig) - but it means so much.

The OP started a good thread with a good question - and that's the topic here.

Rather than take time to issue individual write-ups - those involved in off-topic bickering may consider themselves warned.

Further outbreaks of this behavior will be followed by MORE infractions, and shall definitely have an additional infraction included for failure to heed a mod's warning.

15. lafter

lafter Member

I am a big fan of google voice .. I'm slowly moving everything over to it .. once they allow you to get your txt an picture messages I'll switch to it 100%

16. barely_legal_lover

barely_legal_lover Banned

do you have to give a new phone number to people you know? Can you choose the number. I always love picking last 4 digits to spell something like (AFRO) (my old college number) lol

17. Super_Six_Two

Super_Six_Two Well-Known Member

Yes, you have to give out a new number if you want to fully take advantage of it. You have some choice in the number.