• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Free VoIP Calling Using Google Voice + Sipdroid

All you need is Google Voice and GV phone#, with GrooveIP or Talkatone. Both work fairly well on my Nexus 7, although Talkatone has fewer echo problems. But GrooveIP seems to have fewer connection problems. I'm currently using GrooveIP with my GV#, and don't have cell service.

I do have a T-mobile 4G hotspot device that works great. I almost exclusively use it in my car since I have wifi at home and work. I bought it at Walmart, so can use the $35 plan that's good for 3.5gb for 60 days. GrooveIP works better on 4G than Talkatone (for me).

Upvote 0
I installed the latest 3.1 version of sipdroid, setup a PBXes account to link to my google voice account. If I call my google voice number it rings through to sipdroid.
Trying to make an outgoing call says: "dialing" then "call in progress" and then hangs up. I tried starting the call on google voice and specifying Google Talk. The phone never rings.
I had sipdroid previously working through sipgate but I just got a note saying they are stopping the service so I want to switch over. I am using a different PBXes account than the one connected to sipgate.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones