• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [AT&T] Free Wi-fi tethering hotspot

I have been tethering on my Galaxy S3 AT&T using FoxFi since I got it. However, At&t will be able to detect tethering using FoxFi. I recently received a notice about tethering without a tethering plan, threatened me to alter my unlimited plan to a 5gb w/ tethering plan if continued use. After doing some research, the FoxFi addon on the Google Playstore says that it can mask the user from being detected using FoxFi tethering.

Can anyone confirm this? FoxFi addon helping users go undetected for AT&T on the Galaxy S3???

I have been using FoxFi with the add-on for a while now, and haven't heard a word from at&t

Reactions: sjamie
Upvote 0
Thanks. Installed it. So if I enable proxy, AT&T will not be able to tell that I am tethering? What does "set the Proxy Server address of my computer browser to 0.0.0.0 port 8000" mean and how do I do it?

I've been using it for several months and have not heard a peep from AT&T about it, so I assume they don't know I'm using it. As far as the proxy server address, I'm not sure, because I only use it for my Nexus 7 which allows me to set that in the wi-fi connection settings.

Upvote 0
can someone post a link where to get this app now?
This is the way I was told AT&T users had to go and it worked for me.
I assume it would be a work around for other carriers also.
I apologize for not giving credit where credit is due but I cannot find the original poster who posted this:

Link====> FoxFi Installer

How to install FoxFi if your carrier has removed it from Play Store:
1. Make sure "Unknown Sources" is checked in phone Settings (under Applications or Developer).

2. Uninstall the existing version of FoxFi if you already have it. 3. Tap on the following links to download the apk file for FoxFi.

4. From phone notifications select the downloaded file. This will install the latest FoxFi.

Upvote 0
This is the way I was told AT&T users had to go and it worked for me.
I assume it would be a work around for other carriers also.
I apologize for not giving credit where credit is due but I cannot find the original poster who posted this:

Link====> FoxFi Installer

How to install FoxFi if your carrier has removed it from Play Store:
1. Make sure "Unknown Sources" is checked in phone Settings (under Applications or Developer).

2. Uninstall the existing version of FoxFi if you already have it. 3. Tap on the following links to download the apk file for FoxFi.

4. From phone notifications select the downloaded file. This will install the latest FoxFi.

Thank you.

i dont quite understand how to do #1? i dont see anything under Developer Options or Application Manager that says anything about "unknown sources"

am i not looking in the right place?

Reactions: Ortiz750ss
Upvote 0
the new app to use is Portable Wifi HotSpot. Its better than foxfi cuz it's free and works through the native hotspot function. It connects faster and is more stable

welp my experiment with Portable Wifi Hotspot is over. I can confirm that Foxfi works MUCH better. I can't prove it but I think Verizon may have plugged some hole to handicap portable wifi hotspot because I was using it for a few days and it was working fine until I got a verizon carrier update a few days ago and portable wifi hotspot started working like crap. Foxfi is still working great though so I'm going to bite the bullet and just purchase the full version

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones