Free WiFi CallingTips

1. rockokma

rockokma Well-Known Member

Just to let my fellow Incredible Users know, I just got calling via WiFi working on my Inc.

Using GV + Sipgate + Fring + GV Dial.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Djteetee

Djteetee Member

That's GREAT! Did you following any "How-To"s or have any documentation for the rest of us. I've been intrigued by this topic for some time.
  3. newjacksm

newjacksm Well-Known Member

you have to use all those programs at once? this would be great as im going out the ountry and would like to use my cell phone
  4. newjacksm

Do I have to have service when I make a phone call or does it go directly through Wifi connection. I may be misunderstanding this whole concept..
  5. Red Leader

Red Leader Well-Known Member

can u make free international calls with this method?
  6. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

I just use Fring and a sip provider (freecall). Cheap and helps this non-world phone make calls over wifi when out of the country. Heck even my ipod touch can use fring to make phone calls.

(Stay away from Skype these days)
  7. PSulli

PSulli New Member

8. newjacksm

how can you set this up? I have fring and sipdroid
  9. fortesquieu

fortesquieu Well-Known Member

I tried Fring calls on, it sounds terrible lol.
  10. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

Just go into addons in Fring. Select SIP. Put in your username password and sip server. Then go to the Fring dialer and dial a number and press SIP. Works well for me over 3g or WiFi. Ymmv based on connection and provider. I think video calls only work over Skype. I don't have any sip video buddies to test.
  11. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

Why do you say that?
  12. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

It used to work over WiFi to make calls. No more. It's basically just a chat app now not a way to make calls when there's no cdma service. That's the whole point of it imo.
  13. newjacksm

When I set up my sip on fring and try a fring call it automatically hangs up. where it says int'l telephone number do I put any number or my regular cellphone number?
  14. mills23

mills23 Well-Known Member

I got it to ring out but thats about it. (Fring an sipdroid)
  15. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

Fring 2.1 spams your contacts. Use 2.0
  16. Yogi2806

Yogi2806 New Member

Need Sum Code For Free Wifi Call Application...If Any one can help me in this...
  17. varkie

varkie Well-Known Member

There are two Skype version out, on regular Skype and the other Verizon's version of Skype that doesn't allow wifi calling. I had the regular Skype set up just a month ago on my old Eris to make wifi only calls and it worked just fine. I also have Skype installed on my laptop and I just used it to call my cell phone through our company's wifi network so it still works.

Edit: But Skype isn't free you have to pay for your minutes but they are very cheap. Skype to Skype calls are still free.
  18. diego1749

diego1749 New Member

If you haven't figured it out yet, try my video at freewifiphonecalls.com for setting up your Droid. It isn't set up for free international calls, but I'm working on getting it set up with the cheapest rates possible, directly through the dial pad. The quality is great and there's almost no lag at all.
  19. jhooraking

jhooraking New Member

lucksp likes this.
  20. lucksp

lucksp Member

great tutorial!