• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

free Wifi tethering/hotspot ?

soso94

May 27, 2012
Hey...
So.. i know this gonna sound nooby and stupid but.. I've been thinking about rooting and searching why would most people wanna root their android phones and it turned out to be mainly for getting free wifi tethering or the free hotspot
the quistion is... what exactly is this free wifi tethering i really want to know everything about it. i hope someone here explain it to me >_<
thanks in advance :)

its not exactly free wifi tethering.

Tethering is when you share your phone's internet connection (via mobile network) to your laptop.

In the US, for people to be able to do this, on top of their monthly bill for data, they have to pay an additional $20-30 so that they will be allowed to tether. Otherwise if they try to enable tethering on their phone, it won't work and the phone will have a popup saying that it is not enabled in their contract. Basically people root so that they can remove the "lock" preventing them to activate tether.

Technically this is both stealing and not stealing. This is stealing because they are acquiring a paid service for free, but it is also not stealing because in the past this service was free as an inherent capability of their phones. In my country for example (I'm in Asia), tethering from the phone has no additional charges.

Reactions: soso94
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones