Free Yahoo????General

Last Updated:

1. deslovedroid

deslovedroid Active Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, someone tell me what does it mean to have Free Yahoo on the Eris?? You can already have you Yahoo mail forward to your gmail so I dont get it :confused:. Maybe its just me:eek:

Advertisement
  2. yeahright

yeahright Well-Known Member

my guess would be that they give you an option to have a yahoo account send / receive mail without having to forward it to your gmail first. Like how they have the microsoft exchange option.

deslovedroid likes this.
  3. rvpartsguy

rvpartsguy Well-Known Member

you are now able to set up yahoo email in your mail app (not your gmail app)

previously there was a work around to get it to work oor you had to pay for yahoo mail plus ..... with 2.1 they now have automatic settings in the mail app.... hope this helps

deslovedroid likes this.
  4. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

I read this, but this is not from my experience:

"Eris to use your Free Yahoo email you have to set it up manually type in your email and password then select IMAP for incomming server example ( imap.mail.yahoo.com and the incomming server port is 143 no security type and for outgoing there is no security type smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com and the port is 25 and it works fine with my droid Eris"

5. cwcheese

cwcheese Well-Known Member

What it means is Google streamlined Yahoo mail setup in the Email app so it uses specific IMAP and SMTP servers dedicated to Android users. And recently extended it to non-paid Yahoo accounts, instead of only Plus accounts.

When 2.1 came to my Droid, my Yahoo mail setup changed to these URLs :
    IMAP - android.imap.mail.yahoo.com:993
    SMTP - android.smtp.mail.yahoo.com:465

6. LiverpoolsNo9

LiverpoolsNo9 Well-Known Member

Do people really still use yahoo and aol? Amazing.

7. rdalev

rdalev Well-Known Member

Yes, I still use yahoo mail .................for all the needless crap on the internet you have to sign up for. Use my personal email for the important stuff !

Not really that amazing at all !

8. astrostrat89

astrostrat89 Well-Known Member

yahoo has a pretty good web mail client. I actually like it better then the google web client.

But here is my problem with trying to set this up. I have a "ymail.com" and not a "yahoo.com" address and that seems to be tripping up the configuration wizard. It didn't recognize ymail.com and did not put in the correct config. I tricked it by using yahoo.com to get the proper config (then put in the correct info for user name) but not it doesn't like my user name. Probably because it's "username@ymail.com" and not just "username"

Going to keep playing with it. Not a deal killer as the mobile web client is not too bad.

9. Romparoo

Romparoo Well-Known Member

Perfect! Thank you!

My wife uses Yahoo (I have been trying to get her to use Gmail, especially since she has and Android device now). I just followed your instructions and got her Yahoo set up without any problems. :D

She will be very pleased when I show it to her. As of before, she had a webpage shortcut to her Yahoo account.

10. natsu

natsu Well-Known Member

My main email account is still yahoo. Just because i've had it for nearly 10 years. Will this work in the leaks too?

11. swe3t23

swe3t23 Well-Known Member

i like gmail because it is straight to the point mail client. none of those fancy extra stuff.

12. deno73

deno73 Well-Known Member

This is how I have always done it....don't think I've ever been charged!!
    :D

13. deno73

deno73 Well-Known Member

Yup..its worked in all 3 for me, and still dose v3

14. deno73

deno73 Well-Known Member

That's crazy... just noticed my outgoing server is 587.....not 25. I wonder what's the difference?

15. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

You have always been able to use the android mail client but had to put in your settings manually. In v3, I had to put in those same settings manually, just as I did in 1.5 and the other two leaks.

You cannot check your Yahoo! mail over wifi without a paid yahoo account. You can, of course, always use your browser.

16. BlueDC2

BlueDC2 Well-Known Member

Same, gmail for anything important - college, forums that I visit frequently (I belong to 4 forums that I post in daily)

Aol = sign up for dumb shit

17. nintendoman

nintendoman Member

anyone having issues with username/password? I'm having a helluva time getting it to authenticate my account even though the U/P is correct..

18. astrostrat89

Bumping to see if anyone has any other info on the "@ymail.com" issues

19. thenestor

thenestor Well-Known Member

20. astrostrat89

I should have tried it before posting, it just works now. It was still would not auto-fill using ymail.com but used yahoo.com and then let it fail then back fill it.

21. v941726

v941726 Well-Known Member

Wonderfu gmail doesn't have crap? That was a joke right? Yahoo plus is just simply mail. No ads and all that extra needless Google crap that grabs every piece of personal info you have . Just use your browser to access yahoo like you would your laptop. Its all there! There is no need for another app