• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root FreedomPop HTC Evo Design

Knolly, I did noticed it seems rooted out of the box. However, not able to install the HTC radio app directly from SD card. Got the "For security, your phone is set to block installation of applications not obtained from the Android Market" message. What did you do?

go to settings and I think under security there is a checkbox that will say "allow installation from unknown sources" check that

Upvote 0
I put this in the BlueKingdom thread but I thought it was relevant here too:
I have installed this ROM successfully on my FreedomPop Phone. The network reads "Boost Mobile". I used the "4G Toggle for EVO" app to get 4G working. I sideloaded the "android-wifi-tether" app and was able to connect to my Android tablet after adjusting the 'Setup-Method' to Netd (master). Also, I was able to install the FreedomPop Messaging app. It works also without any tweaks (both SIP and SMS).

Upvote 0
I put this in the BlueKingdom thread but I thought it was relevant here too:
I have installed this ROM successfully on my FreedomPop Phone. The network reads "Boost Mobile". I used the "4G Toggle for EVO" app to get 4G working. I sideloaded the "android-wifi-tether" app and was able to connect to my Android tablet after adjusting the 'Setup-Method' to Netd (master). Also, I was able to install the FreedomPop Messaging app. It works also without any tweaks (both SIP and SMS).

Great news! I am looking into this FreedomPop phone and would like to do the same. So everything works as in FreedomPop services? I would like to install Google Voice with either GrooveIP or Talkatone to take advantage of the 500 MB data for voice calls and keep my original number. Do you think this would be possible and also to keep my 200 voice minutes for backup? Thanks in advance.

edit: here is a link to something I would like to do.

http://frank.pilone.name/phone-service-by-freedom-pop/

Upvote 0
Yes...FreedomPop uses Voip to make the calls. You can use any rom on the phone and just download the messages app and register the phone with your email for calls. Other than that you just use data as normal and wifi wherever you can to keep your data down. Using voip outside of the FreedomPop app just counts as data and not minutes. Its an awesome plan. FreedomPop just bought a bunch of data from sprint and refurbished phone for our benefit. Their customer service sucks though so don't try. Keeping your old phone number I just use google voice to forward calls to the new number and handle voice mail because freedompops voicemail is $3 a month. Thanks google.

Upvote 0
Yes...FreedomPop uses Voip to make the calls. You can use any rom on the phone and just download the messages app and register the phone with your email for calls. Other than that you just use data as normal and wifi wherever you can to keep your data down. Using voip outside of the FreedomPop app just counts as data and not minutes. Its an awesome plan. FreedomPop just bought a bunch of data from sprint and refurbished phone for our benefit. Their customer service sucks though so don't try. Keeping your old phone number I just use google voice to forward calls to the new number and handle voice mail because freedompops voicemail is $3 a month. Thanks google.

Thanks for the info. I am on the waiting list for the phone and want to experiment with it once I get it. Thanks and glad to hear other people are interested.

Upvote 0
Hello guys! I just recentlty recieved my Freedompop phone, and it came rooted and everything, I already removed some bloatware, and made a backup. But i was wondering if anyone tried installing a different rom or kernel, and if they did, if they could provide some steps? it'd be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Upvote 0
Hello guys! I just recentlty recieved my Freedompop phone, and it came rooted and everything, I already removed some bloatware, and made a backup. But i was wondering if anyone tried installing a different rom or kernel, and if they did, if they could provide some steps? it'd be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I have installed both the ForgottonKingdom and BlueKingdom ROMs on it. If you want to use the Messaging App, download it from the store; it works just fine. To get into CWM, pull the battery (of course put it back). Then turn on the phone while pressing the volume down key. That will get you into HBOOT. From there select recovery. You will find CWM already there.

Upvote 0
I have installed both the ForgottonKingdom and BlueKingdom ROMs on it. If you want to use the Messaging App, download it from the store; it works just fine. To get into CWM, pull the battery (of course put it back). Then turn on the phone while pressing the volume down key. That will get you into HBOOT. From there select recovery. You will find CWM already there.

Forsure! Thanks dude! I appreciate it, do calls still work? I shall be trying this tonight hopefully, I'll update everyone with how it works for me. Anyone thinking about developing for our new phone?

Upvote 0
I'll look at hobbying for it ;) ref: https://www.teamblueridge.org
Initial impressions: Quite a decent device and rom out of the box.
Pre-rooted [aforementioned], very little bloat [compared to other carriers], cwm recovery installed by default, [like sips I've used] the freedompop app [has to] runs constantly [which will account for some battery life issue(s) no doubt]

Edit: Found wasn't syncing.. build is actually 4.0.3 and weather works fine. I've found that if the service falls all the way down [no bars] it turns off mobile data; therefore, wifi [connection] doesn't work :/ Sad; because, I work in a bunker more or less.

Upvote 0
Hey guys! I'd just like to report that i installed Forgottenkingdom, and it runs great, i got to remove all of the sense stuff and it's really smooth, and you'll get a slight battery boost. Also, don't use Pimpmyrom, it broke the rom for me and made it really slow. Thanks for the help though everyone!

Upvote 0
I also got the Freedom Pop phone recently.

I spend time in the states but I spend most of my time in Canada.

When I read about the Evo Design 4G I read that you could pop in a foreign SIM and it would just work.

I crossed into Canada but when I try to change the preferred network from CDMA mode to global mode it gives me a warning and sets the network back to CDMA.

Is there a way that I can enable the global network mode? Seems like a setting in the custom ROM the Freedom Pop phone ships with is blocking that ability.

Does Forgottenkingdom allow you to change the network to the Global Network setting?

Upvote 0

When I read about the Evo Design 4G I read that you could pop in a foreign SIM and it would just work.

I crossed into Canada but when I try to change the preferred network from CDMA mode to global mode it gives me a warning and sets the network back to CDMA.

Is there a way that I can enable the global network mode? Seems like a setting in the custom ROM the Freedom Pop phone ships with is blocking that ability.

Does Forgottenkingdom allow you to change the network to the Global Network setting?

Welp, you've stumbled upon something there. Our phones are tuned to sprint [as freedompop is a sprint mvno]. You have to change the CID to get superCID or basically SPC_0003 or whatever it is to 11111111. I found it; unfortunately its on a write-protected partition [mmcblk0p7] you can view it in a text editor if you go to /dev/block from es explorer; however, only writing it in qhsusbdload mode worked for me [fortunately I have a riff box]. I tried hex editing it manually and writing w/ adb tools, but as I said before, write protected.

You have to unlock the CID to unlock that sim. On a gsm phone you could shove a foreign sim in and it'd ask you for a code; with cdma, you wanna twerk that cid first :) Hope that helps.

Beyond the CID, you'll need a rom that allows cdma and gsm.. there are but a few universal phones out there, but I suppose this one w/ a sim could be made to be such (if a cdma/gsm radio exists for it). I remember playing with a dinc2 on tmo; so, possible but a lot of work my friend. Good luck.

Regards,
Rob

Reactions: lostatsea
Upvote 0

It seems that both of jssa28's ROMs work well on this phone with FP. Both ROMs have settings for Global Mode, but seem to have European APNs. You may have to input your own. You will have to go into phone settings and change to GSM only mode and also that go into Mobile Networks make sure Roaming mode is set to GSM only and the APNs for the network are plugged in. Someone else on one of the threads here was able to do the same thing into Mexico and use CDMA while here. Some of the settings you need are missing from the FP ROM.

Reactions: lostatsea
Upvote 0
Is there any functionality specific to the FreedomPop ROM image that can't be replicated by simply installing their apps from the Play Store? They give you a certain allotment of data and minutes, but all calling is SIP anyway, so maybe on their ROM they have something monitoring data usage and EXCLUDING sip calls. I'm not sure, just asking.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones