• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root FreedomPop HTC Evo Design

It seems that both of jssa28's ROMs work well on this phone with FP. Both ROMs have settings for Global Mode, but seem to have European APNs. You may have to input your own. You will have to go into phone settings and change to GSM only mode and also that go into Mobile Networks make sure Roaming mode is set to GSM only and the APNs for the network are plugged in. Someone else on one of the threads here was able to do the same thing into Mexico and use CDMA while here. Some of the settings you need are missing from the FP ROM.

So, I was able to install both BlueKingdom and ForgottenKingdom on the FP phone, I liked BlueKingdom way more.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to connect to my Bell account, but it does seem to try to connect to Rogers. So I'm going to go into Rogers this week and see if I can try out a demo SIM and if that works sign up for a pay as you go account through them. Thanks again for your help.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I wasn't able to connect to my Bell account, but it does seem to try to connect to Rogers. So I'm going to go into Rogers this week and see if I can try out a demo SIM and if that works sign up for a pay as you go account through them. Thanks again for your help.

Not suprise you cannot connect to Bell. Bell has CDMA and HSPA, but not GSM. If you have Bell SIM card, that means you need a HSPA 3G phone to work with it.
The HTC EVO Design only has 2G/GSM for SIM slot. You should be able to use it with Rogers/Fido/Petro-Canada/7-11 .

Reactions: lostatsea
Upvote 0
Just to update what I've been working on from info in this thread...

I have successfully set up the phone on FreedomPop in the US and Rogers in Canada with the ability to switch between them at will.

The data uses 2G speeds but the slower speeds don't affect me too much. I'm accustomed to either not having a data plan or just having a slow phone.

I'm very happy!

Upvote 0

I have successfully set up the phone on FreedomPop in the US and Rogers in Canada with the ability to switch between them at will.

The data uses 2G speeds but the slower speeds don't affect me too much. I'm accustomed to either not having a data plan or just having a slow phone.

I'm very happy!

Glad to hear that! Are you using Freeedompop stock ROM, or BlueKingdom?

Upvote 0

I'm very happy!

Was there anything special you had to do for it to work, or was it just a simple matter of putting in a Rogers SIM and switching to global mode?

Upvote 0
Was there anything special you had to do for it to work, or was it just a simple matter of putting in a Rogers SIM and switching to global mode?

I had backed up the original ROM with the Kingdom CWM Recovery before I installed BlueKingdom. Then I installed the BlueKingdom ROM.

After BlueKingdom was installed, I rebooted into CWM custom recovery, select Backup And Restore, and then Advanced Restore. Select the backup that you want to restore from and then select Restore Data.

Took it into Rogers, switched the Roaming Mode to GSM only, tried a SIM card there and it worked. Took a minute or so for it to connect but once it got connected I haven't had any problems. I even still seem to be able to use the FreedomPop service while on WiFi if I had a reason to do so.

Usually when the phone is rebooted there will be a notice that says "Process com.android.phone is not responding" but I just hit "Wait". It only seems to happen when the phone is turned off and back on. I've even hit "OK" before and it still seemed to connect to the Rogers network and FreedomPop (while on WiFi) after about a minute.

Upvote 0
Received my FP Evo today. Mine is in terrific shape, looks brand new. Tested voice calls over 3G and it sounded just fine to me and the other party. I was pretty excited by that part.

I'm backing it up and preparing to test out some other roms. I'm not new to the android world at all. This is actually my 3rd Evo, falling right in between my old Evo 4G and Evo 3D. I got rid of some old devices to pick this one up. It is by no means to be my primary phone. It's just going to be a device that happens to have 500mb of free data forever.

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm fairly new to the whole rooting thing. I just got the EVO Design from FreedomPop and downloaded Root Check. It said my phone was not rooted like some of the other people on this board.

Are there any suggestions for where to go to find rooting instructions? Does this have to be rooted any differently than a non-FreedomPop Design phone?

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm fairly new to the whole rooting thing. I just got the EVO Design from FreedomPop and downloaded Root Check. It said my phone was not rooted like some of the other people on this board.

Are there any suggestions for where to go to find rooting instructions? Does this have to be rooted any differently than a non-FreedomPop Design phone?

In my experience, they all come with the bootloader already unlocked and with CWM Recovery already flashed, but not necessarily with superuser installed. So it is just a matter of installing superuser.

Here are the steps you need to take:

1. On your phone, download superuser, http://downloads.noshufou.netdna-cdn.com/superuser/Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip

2. Power off your phone and remove the battery for a few seconds

3. Put the battery back in and hold down the VolumeDown button and the power button at the same time to boot into bootloader. This is a bright white screen with some text on it and 3 green skateboarding androids at the bottom.

4. You will see some text flash across the screen as your device does a check. Once it stops you can navigate the menu using the volume up and down buttons. Select RECOVERY and hit the power button to enter it.

5. You should now be in CWM Recovery. Again using the volume up and down buttons select Install package from zip file using the power button.

6. Locate the superuser zip file in your downloads folder and select it.

7. Once complete go back to the main CWM menu and select reboot phone.

8. Your phone should now boot normally but your phone is now rooted.

Reactions: Samatman
Upvote 0
In my experience, they all come with the bootloader already unlocked and with CWM Recovery already flashed, but not necessarily with superuser installed. So it is just a matter of installing superuser.

1. On your phone, download superuser, <URL redacted because this is my first post>

3. Put the battery back in and hold down the VolumeDown button and the power button at the same time to boot into bootloader. This is a bright white screen with some text on it and 3 green skateboarding androids at the bottom.

4. You will see some text flash across the screen as your device does a check. Once it stops you can navigate the menu using the volume up and down buttons. Select RECOVERY and hit the power button to enter it.

5. You should now be in CWM Recovery. Again using the volume up and down buttons select Install package from zip file using the power button.

So from there, all I need to do to install a custom rom is do a nandroid backup, copy the rom zip to my sdcard, and install it the same way as the superuser zip, right?

Upvote 0
ThE blue kingdom rom download site is not working now. Is that temporary? <-- Never mind this

Never mind, it is working. I had to switch to my Chrome browser since the download page was not recognizing the IE9 javascript.

Okay, this is to ALL FreedonPop newbies coming through here. The Freedompop EVO Design 4g IS already rooted. It already has CWM v.5.

But you must update the superuser binaries. There is a post, copied from these forumslocated in the freedompop discussions forums under the thread "what apps are in your phone?" The links lead you, or has already lead you back to these forums. If you are here for that please remember the 4G design IS already rooted and has CWM!!!!

I see a lot of new post from Freedompop brethren looking to root your phones, I belive you are looking for the superuser post (#36 in the Blue Kingdom thread) with the link I used to update superuser.
I would rather you folks go there than make new post for the wrong reasons and take the precious few people working on roms to help you with something you already have. Its a waste of time and keeps them from working (hopefully) on new roms and fixing the curent batch of hopeful roms for our three year old phones!

Needless to say if you need help by all means there are plenty of good folks willing to give help on these pages. But know what you need and look around for answers, don't crowd the forums with un-needed new threads if possible.

thank you.

Upvote 0

1. On your phone, download superuser, http://downloads.noshufou.netdna-cdn.com/superuser/Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip

Hello,

when I click RECOVERY, the phone shows an "HTC" and acts to be booting like normal, but you said that CWM should come up. What should I do, because CWM didn't come up, and I don't want to screw anything up?

Thanks,

davidsports

Upvote 0
David, repeat steps below and try again.

Upvote 0
David, repeat steps below and try again.

Thank you for the reply, but when I choose RECOVERY my phone restarts, and then I take out the battery because I don't want the phone to go to an earlier ROM, because my reedomPOp ROM is delicate and shouldn't be messed with. If my phone seems to boot after I hit RECOVERY (The "HTC" pops up like it would if it would normally boot) what would it do? Would it restore itself to an earlier version of my phone or what?

Thank you very much.

David

Upvote 0
David, I have the freedomPop, and followed the same instruction. I am Miguel Lopez on the FP forums. When your phone reboots after doing the aboe steps, do not remove the battery, it will take you back to recovery. If it does then just, while in recovery, do the "reboot system now" and it should return you to regular reboot and normal operations other than your phone is now rooted! If you get a "process android.process..." message hit wait and proceed as normal. Please read my threads "what apps are on your phone" and Is your phone rooted..." on FP I listed two apps that will test your root and your superuser status. The FP phones only have one Rom and thats their stock rom, so the instructions you followed here do not do anything except update your binaries and install the SU app. THe SU app will periodically ask for permission to give apps permision to work with your system.

Upvote 0
David, I have the freedomPop, and followed the same instruction. I am Miguel Lopez on the FP forums. When your phone reboots after doing the aboe steps, do not remove the battery, it will take you back to recovery. If it does then just, while in recovery, do the "reboot system now" and it should return you to regular reboot and normal operations other than your phone is now rooted! If you get a "process android.process..." message hit wait and proceed as normal. Please read my threads "what apps are on your phone" and Is your phone rooted..." on FP I listed two apps that will test your root and your superuser status. The FP phones only have one Rom and thats their stock rom, so the instructions you followed here do not do anything except update your binaries and install the SU app. THe SU app will periodically ask for permission to give apps permision to work with your system.

Thank you very much, and actually I started the thread of "It is safe to root the HTC Evo Design 4G?" . :) Thank you for the help :)

Thanks,

David

Upvote 0

One more thing, before I do this:

(This is not following the above steps)

When my phone is off and charging ClockworkMod pops up.
When I use ClockworkMod, I use the volume keys to go up/down. To select something, I use the power button, but when I use the power button I select something, and it appears for literally about half a second, and then my phone boots regularly. (When I just test CWM out when my phone is off and charging as stated before.)
What can I do to use ClockworkMod normally? (So I can choose things and my phone just doesn't boot.)
Thanks,
David

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones