• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Freezes after recovery

Found a few threads similar to this but not quite the same, so hopefully I haven't opened a new thread when there is already one out there. I'm fairly new to the whole ROM thing, so please excuse me if I'm missing something glaringly obvious.

I have managed to root my Nexus S 4G succesfully. And I wanted to try and install some ROM's, specifically CM7. I have installed Rom Manager and flashed Clockwordmod recovery and everything was fine up until that point. My problem seems to be in installing new ROM's, I can download the ROM but as soon as it boots to recovery I get a little android next to an exclamation mark at which point nothing will respond and I have to remove the battery. If I try and fastboot and then go into recovery I get the same thing. I can then if I need reboot and flash clockworkmod's latest recovery and boot into recovery, and try and flash the ROM from there, but then anytime I use ROM Manager to try and backup it freezes up again anytime it wants to go into recovery.

I have restored my backup from before I tried CM7 and everything works fine at the moment, but I seem to be having the same problem, where now I can't even backup backup my current ROM in ROM Manager without flashing the Clockworkdmod recovery first. Is this normal?

Should have waited. Last time I looked at the list of supported phones the Nexus S is not there yet.
Updated 10/10/11
CyanogenMod-7.1 Released! | CyanogenMod

I'm a moron, didn't even think to check, all the instructions for doing it came from a Nexus S tutorial, which I thought was legit.

Would you have any idea why now, even though I have gone back to my stock 2.3.6, I still get that freezing issue when I want to backup my current ROM in ROM Manager? It's not a huge issue, cause I can do it as long as I flash Clockwork recovery first, but it seems weird that I should have to do that every time, even though it's been factory wiped and restored. Obviously I've stuffed something up along the way, just can't figure out what it is.

Thanks for pointing that out though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones