• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Freezing constantly. Having to do ~30 battery pulls every 3 or 4 hours

Knitewulf

Android Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2010
Where the wild things are
I honestly don't know what happened.
My phone is turned off so I can only use Wi-fi and usually I never have trouble with it, but around 2 or 3 nights ago it started freezing and just freaking out. I didn't download anything new at that time that might have caused this. I still had a good 2gigs of space available on both my internal harddrive as well as my SD card. It also didn't look like my memory was hurting either.

Anyways I will try and explain what it does.

When I turn my phone it sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. If I slide the keyboard up and then switch back to portrait more than once or do that one time to fast my phone will just freeze up. I don't mean it will become slow I mean the hardware buttons won't work, the screen won't work, the lock button won't work. There is literally nothing else to do but a battery pull.

After I do a battery pull usually no matter what the next 2 or 3 battery pulls won't change a thing and the phone will still not respond at all. Sometimes the screen freaks out and produces a form of static from top to bottom. Its solid and its all you can see.

Also I have noticed on startup there are a ton of apps running. Around 1 and a half pages of them. It still says the memory is in the upper 100s though so I don't know why that would effect it, but maybe it does? I'm not sure if its usually like that when you reboot though.

I randomly lose wi-fi now when I shouldn't within my own home for some reason.
Another interesting fact is my phone tends to perma-freeze or freeze way more often when the backing is on it. I'm using the extended battery if that makes any difference.

Either way I deleted a lot of games and apps that took up a lot of space. I cleared my cache and went through and deleted data for apps which contained 400kb+ of it. I've done everything I can think to do besides reformatting the SD card and internal hard drive and then erasing all data/cache. The only problem is since my phone is turned off if I do that I am back to the "Welcome to Android" tutorial and when I have to enter my e-mail to communicate with the google server it won't work rendering my phone useless. So I can't really do that...

I think the best bet is to take it into Verizon themselves, the thing is I am running MavROM 1.0 so I would need to unroot it first and I'm not sure if thats even possible with the way this phone is running.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Does anyone know of a fix? Is there a way to defrag its harddrive?

Did you do a backup the last time you flashed your rom? Can you just go into clockwork recovery and reflash or restore what you had? I had one time with my D1 where i had no cell tower signal when at the "Welcome To Android" screen and either I was offered to fire up wifi or it was an option so you could do that as well. At the very least you should be able to reflash from boot.

Upvote 0
Did you do a backup the last time you flashed your rom? Can you just go into clockwork recovery and reflash or restore what you had? I had one time with my D1 where i had no cell tower signal when at the "Welcome To Android" screen and either I was offered to fire up wifi or it was an option so you could do that as well. At the very least you should be able to reflash from boot.

Yep, no matter what backup I restored they all achieved the exact same thing. Nothing. The phone is so completely broken I managed to unroot it and bring it to Verizon and they are shipping me a new one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones