1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Support Freezing/rebooting problems

1. DaveG

DaveG Well-Known Member

We got 3 Optimus S phones this weekend at Radio Shack. On mine, I experienced 2 reboots different times throughout the day when pressing the power button while the phone was in standby mode.

I placed the phone on the charger last night before bed. I pressed the power button this morning (phone should have been in standby mode) and nothing happened. I had to pull and replace the battery.

One of the other phones also locked up yesterday (black screen, no response) and required a battery pull/replace.

I

Advertisement
  2. apinkel

apinkel Well-Known Member

So these were stock devices, i.e. no 3rd party software loaded?
  3. DaveG

DaveG Well-Known Member

I've installed a few apps. (I've installed these on other Android phones without errors.) I SUPPOSE one of these COULD be causing problems but I think that's a stretch.

Phone #2 has not installed any applications.
  4. apinkel

I hope it's just a fluke, I really like the feel of this phone and from early indications it has solid performance. It's also about the only current sprint non-qwerty phone that allows me to get around the $10 premium data add-on... I rarely stream data and only occasionally surf the internet so I just hate paying for the premium data on the top-end sprint android's.

I don't have much experience with how well LG supports their phones. I know HTC is fairly responsive to fixing issues and Motorola usually has pretty solid devices out of the gate, I haven't been impressed with how Samsung has handled the GPS issues on the Galaxy S series... I'm just not sure how well LG supports their phones.

Hopefully there won't be any reason to find out.
  5. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Used mine since yesterday afternoon, ran it til the battery was nearly dead (didn't charge the battery when I purchased it so it was not fully charged to begin with). Fully charged it last night and so far after 20 hours or so no problems at all.

No reboots, no lag, no symptoms at all. It is a very solid little phone. Like a little Evo. :D
  6. apinkel

That's exactly what I'm looking for... a little evo (but hopefully with better battery life)
  7. AndroidSPCS

I think you'll be pleased. I'm not sure if I quite like the Sprint ID concept but I do love the phone.
  8. DaveG

DaveG Well-Known Member

apinkel: My thoughts are exactly like yours... This phone is a great performer. I don't really do too much multimedia so don't want/need that $10 monthly fee, either.

The phone locked up on me again this afternoon. I received a new email (heard the notification sound which I set using a custom MP3 I made and placed in the media/ringtones folder on my SD card).

I pressed the power button and nothing happened. Then I long pressed the power button and it gave me the silence/airplane/power menu. I hit power again, which turned the screen off. Then I hit power again and I was back at my home screen with a message indicating that the SD card had been REMOVED. I had to pull and re-insert the SD card for the phone to notice it again.

I wonder if something is wrong with the SD card? I formatted it through the Android settings menu and will see how the phone performs now. Something was/is wrong here though.
  9. AndroidSPCS

I took the SD card out yesterday, and then when I put it back in later it recognized it, but then later said it was removed, but then recognized it again. I just ignored it and the problem has not happened since. Could be a weird bug or something. Has not happened since that single instance.
  10. DaveG

DaveG Well-Known Member

I'll try and play around some more over the next few days. A correction: the tone that plays when I get a new email is one from the phone's memory, NOT the SD card. So this is NOT related to playing a ringer/notification from the SD card.

In a couple instances I can recall, this weird lock-up error occurs after a notification arrives and I go to check it.

This morning when it was completely locked up on me (black screen, battery pull) there was a new email waiting for me. So as far as I can tell right now, seems like there may be some sort of lock-up problem after receiving an email notification.

Anyone else please shout out if you notice any weirdness.
  11. apinkel

Here's hoping this is an isolated issue...
  12. DaveG

DaveG Well-Known Member

I talked to the owner of phone #3 and he experienced the same SD card issue. Phone thinks the SD card has been removed and requires taking out and putting it back in.

All 3 phones have issues. 2 have the SD card and issue AND the lock-up pull-battery problem, and the third has the SD card issue only - so far, at least.

I'm going to call Radio Shack and see what they recommend, either replace or return at this point.
  13. DaveG

DaveG Well-Known Member

Radio Shack recommended that I return the phone, since this SD Card/lock-up bug appears on all 3 phones, and the complete lock-up battery pull bug appears on 3 of the phones.

#1 was returned last night, and #2 and #3 will be returned later this week. What a shame, these phones are REALLY GREAT. If these issues are quickly addressed/resolved by LG then I will definitely purchase this model again.
  14. jen8112

jen8112 Well-Known Member

Hopefully it was a bad batch to your store. (fingers crossed!)
  15. DaveG

DaveG Well-Known Member

While I hope that too, I doubt that's the case as someone else in this thread experienced the same issue.

Phone #2 and #3 continue to have problems this morning so they'll be returned shortly.

I do feel that LG will probably end up fixing this through some sort of firmware update and if that happens soon we'll be getting the phones once again.

Too bad as far as timing goes, as the Radio Shack free promo ends this week.
  16. jen8112

Speaking off, do you need the coupon to get it free as an upgrade? My printer is out of ink. ;)
  17. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

It's on the front page of their weekly ad. CLICK HERE Although that does say "with new agreement."

FWIW, I'm keeping an close eye on this freezing/rebooting issues as well, as I also think this phone offers alot for the price. (FREE!!)
  18. AndroidSPCS

I didn't need coupon. The sale for free seems to go through 11/27.

And their price says new or upgrade. I did upgrade, no coupons at all, got it for -$0.01.
  19. badankles

badankles Well-Known Member

just talked to a friend who had it since launch and no lock up or SD card error. they did tried a live wallpaper, which worked, but it bogged it down to freezing and drained the battery badly. uninstalled and everything is fine.
  20. AndroidSPCS

I'm using the live wall paper without issues. The grass / blades wall paper. Also tried the spinning galaxy live wall paper and no problems.

No SD card issues since the first time when I improperly removed the SD card without dismounting it.

The proper way to remove the SD card is to dismount it first under settings, and that should allow the SD card to be removed without errors.

No lockups either. This is a fantastic phone!
  21. DaveG

DaveG Well-Known Member

The complete lock-up when I had to pull the battery was after the phone was on and charging all night long. I placed it on the charger around 11pm and the next morning around 6:30 is when nothing happened when I pressed the power button. Short press or long press, nothing.

If nobody else is experiencing any of these issues maybe I'll try my luck at aa Radio Shack in another city - maybe the one I originally went to had a bad batch huh?
  22. badankles

badankles Well-Known Member

Hmmm...I was told the live wallpaper they installed from market was one that had falling snowflakes. Could have been an incompatible one or badly coded one. Good to know it's fine with live wallpaper after all.
  23. jen8112

I had the SD card issue but I did improperly remove the card so I'm hoping that was the problem. We will see! ;)
  24. DaveG

DaveG Well-Known Member

To clarify... the SD card bug is where the phone will notify you that the SD has been removed when it in fact has not been removed. You are forced to pull out the card and insert it again, or sometimes have to reboot the phone for it to see the card once again.

In some cases, the phone displays a message that says the card has been unmounted and it is safe to remove it.

In all cases, these messages are displayed out of the blue, normally discovered after unlocking the phone from standby mode.
  25. jen8112

I removed the card without unmounting and a little while later when I unlocked the phone it said SD card has been removed, no SD card, SD card has been installed and preparing SD card. I never had to actually remove the card again and put it back in nor did I have to reboot. Hasn't happened again and i hope it doesn't! ;)