• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fresh 2.1.1 vs Fresh 2.1.2 hmmmmm

hey anyone out there.

i am curious if anyone can tell me the advantages and disadvantages of these two roms in a straight forward manner.

i flashed both and noticed that the keyboard in 2.1.2 was slower, coming out of apps i'd get a 'loading' screen sometimes, i lost like 50 plus MB memory, AND there was no haptic feedback in dialer, and when on the phone i had to press red button instead of any button to get a screen.

i read flipz notes, but i'd like a user friendly answer on why 2.1.2 is actually worth using over 2.1.1.

any opinions welcome.

thanks!!

dave

Ok, as stated in the release notes, this ROM does use up more memory as it is deoxded. To be honest, I could care less. There are a ton of people that are obsessed with "stats," like "I need x free memory" or the like. To be perfectly honest, I ran Fresh 2.1.1 and now I run 2.1.2. I haven't had any issues with it having less memory. I once used an app called SysTray. It displayed Free memory and RAM. I found myself constantly checking it to see where I was it. This became more of a hassle and fixation than anything. I have removed that app and haven't used it for a good while now. I have found that if you let the phone run as it is meant to, all works out just fine. This applies to task killers as well.

As for lag, I don't have any.

Upvote 0
Furthermore, if you are curious and want to know more, I recommend talking to 330D. I recently helped him get from 2.1.1 to 2.1.2. He might have some good "experiences" to share with you.

Funny you should mention.... I was just gonna say that 2.1.2 is excellent. I was running 2.1.1, and kinda hung up on it because it worked so well, but wanted to be able to flash the vanilla lockscreen. Soooooo, I tried 2.1.2, and had a couple small issues getting it to work, but with a minor amount of effort, 2.1.2 is way better than .1.1. It is quick, customizable, and Launcher Pro is worth the swap by itself. I thought that I "needed" sense, but since running LP, I wouldn't buy another sense phone. It is a different animal all together. I love how it integrates the app tray into the home screen. It looks a lot less cluttered, and it is so cool how the home screens will rotate! I love 2.1.2, and am very glad I switched.:D

Upvote 0
cool man. :)

i was just messing around with the htc ime mod keyboard... what are your thoughts on that verses touch input?

how do you flash the vanilla lock screen? please...thanks.

I use swype. I wouldn't use any other keyboard.

As far as the lockscreen, just like a rom. Put it on the root of the sd card, reboot to recovery, flash zip from sd. (Always after a nandroid backup)

there is an su fix you need to flash, in order to keep everything working correctly. You can find all you need, here:

Download: Fresh Rom 2.1.2 Geek For Me – Sprint Evo 4g & CDMA Hero

Upvote 0
Would someone direct me to the instructions for the Fresh update? I'm on Sprint HTC Hero with Fresh 2.0d since May 7. I'm loving it, but thought I would come in and see about updates. Thank you so much!!!

Download the rom and the su fix/ vanilla lockscreen (if you want it) from the link above, reboot to recovery, do a nandroid backup, Then flash the rom, the su fix from zip, just like you did to get 2.0d on your phone.

Upvote 0
For those looking to upgrade/flash new, here is what you do:

Follow the instructions as before if you have already flashed a ROM. If not, read up on the tutorials. After you have flashed Fresh 2.1.2, look further down on the thread about it. You will see the SU fix is right there with it :). It even links you on where/how to get/do it.

Upvote 0
Anyone getting varying battery life with this ROM? Yesterday I unplugged around 7:30am and was down to 17% by 1:00am the next day. But some days I'll unplug around 9:00am and be down to about 55% at 11:00pm (4.74% drain per hour vs 3.21%) with very similar use. Spare parts and running services doesn't show anything out of the ordinary and I never had bad battery life back in the fresh 1.1 or 2.0d days.

Upvote 0
i tried 2.1.2 and was working well UNTIL i setup my exchange account on it. then i get boot looped. any ideas?

Don't use it for my work phone, so can't help you there.

Anyone getting varying battery life with this ROM? Yesterday I unplugged around 7:30am and was down to 17% by 1:00am the next day. But some days I'll unplug around 9:00am and be down to about 55% at 11:00pm (4.74% drain per hour vs 3.21%) with very similar use. Spare parts and running services doesn't show anything out of the ordinary and I never had bad battery life back in the fresh 1.1 or 2.0d days.

No battery issues at all. I suggest checking out settings>about>battery and check and see what your Time Without Signal is. Otherwise, you already checked spare parts as you stated. I have had no battery problems unless I'm in a poor coverage area, which of course will drain your battery faster.

Upvote 0
No battery issues at all. I suggest checking out settings>about>battery and check and see what your Time Without Signal is. Otherwise, you already checked spare parts as you stated. I have had no battery problems unless I'm in a poor coverage area, which of course will drain your battery faster.

Time without a signal is usually around 6%

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones