• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fresh 2.1.2 out

What's the benefit of going from 2.0d to 2.1.2? I read the keyboard is nearly lag free which is a big plus imo, I heard everything is faster. Is Facebook sync working good? Is flash as good as it is on 2.0d, I heard space gets a little limited, just want to know if its worth flashing? And can I flash over 2.0d?

I flashed over from 2.0d with no problems. Make sure you do a nandroid first. I actually went 2.0d-->2.1.1-->2.1.2 with no wipes. I didn't even use 2.1.1 by the time I got it loaded this morning I saw 2.1.2 was out. My Facebook sync is working except my contacts birthdays aren't showing up. It's definitely worth flashing over from 2.0d just to get rid of the keyboard lag. That was my biggest hate about 2.0d. Overall though the phone is a heck of a lot faster over 2.0d. Kind of like when I had fresh 1.1 and put the gumbo kernel on it.

Upvote 0
I went and read through the changelog for 2.1.2 but realistically, what are the performance, stability, overall feel differences from what you guys have noticed between 2.1.1 / 2.1.2 ?

Just want some insight before I flash it, 2.1.1 has been running perfect for me.

It's hard to say, since so many things come into play. What works great for one person might be missing something vital for someone else, that sort of thing.

That being said, here's my testimony. Long time Fresh user, I flashed 2.1.1 over 2.0d when it first came out, and there were a few minor quirks, but mostly it was slow. Much more lag moving in and out of menus and screens. No idea why, and not everyone was seeing it, but I was.

So, I switched to damageless' plain vanilla 2.1 ROM, straight from the RUU. It worked great. Fast and stable, great battery life, all that. Boring, but, hey, not bad enough to go back to 2.0d.

But, when 2.1.2 came out, I put it on right away. And I am very, very happy again. I have all my old customizations, the bloat is gone, it's fast (I'd say fastest ROM I've used) and it works great. WiFi tethering, XDA keyboard, live wallpapers, vanilla lock screen (waiting for the hack to put my wallpaper over the vanilla lock screen), the works.

It sounds trite, but in a lot of ways, it seems like the 2.1 release that we should have gotten from HTC/Sprint.

Now, I don't use bluetooth, so I have no way of knowing what condition it's in, and I know that's a big issue for a lot of people. And, again, I'm just one user, who's been using it just one day.

But, for me, Fresh 2.1.2, hands down ---- Best ROM yet.

Upvote 0
I am coming from Fresh 1.1, wanted to wait until the the 2.1 was gtg.

How do I get to the options above?
Sorry I am dumb.

Boot into recovery, choose the option to wipe. It will take you to a new screen and those will be the first 2 choices. Do the first, then the second, then you're ready to flash the new image (which you will have already put on your sdcard).

No need to wipe your sdcard.

Oh, and ALWAYS MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP BEFORE WIPING/FLASHING ANYTHING!

Upvote 0
still having problems w/ wifi tether after patch update fresh-2.1.2-su-fix.zip

i turn on WiFi first and that doesn't make a difference, not sure if it's needed.

upgraded to 2.1.2 from vanilla v1.5, just did wipe data/factory reset. su just hangs, then complains about permissions, then requires force close. also, the superuser permission app (w/ the # icon) just goes to a black/blank screen.

what am i doing wrong?

Upvote 0
still having problems w/ wifi tether after patch update fresh-2.1.2-su-fix.zip

i turn on WiFi first and that doesn't make a difference, not sure if it's needed.

upgraded to 2.1.2 from vanilla v1.5, just did wipe data/factory reset. su just hangs, then complains about permissions, then requires force close. also, the superuser permission app (w/ the # icon) just goes to a black/blank screen.

what am i doing wrong?

Is USB debugging turned on? It needs to be. (Menu/Settings/Applications/Development)

Also, you're running version 1.6 of WIFI Tether, right? You didn't update it with the version from the Market?

And, I think I saw someone else say to try to clear the cache for SU, (Menu/Settings/Applications/Manage Applications) if necessary.

And no, you don't need to turn WIFI on. In fact, WIFI Tether will turn it off if it finds that it is turned on when it launches.

Upvote 0
i just flashed this...very strange how when i wiped data and davlic and then loaded this rom it didnt work..just kept looping at the bootup screen but when i loaded fresh 2.1.1 then flashed 2.1.2 over it, it worked perfect hmm..

What were you coming from the first time you tried?

I was running Damageless' plain 2.1, wiped and flashed and didn't have any problems.

I've seen other people say they got the boot loop with 2.1.2, but some of them had come from 2.1.1.

Wonder what's going on.

Upvote 0
well i had 2.1.1 loaded for a few days running perfect until yesterday and my calls went wacky...every call that came in, com.android.phone would force close and i could not pick up any call...so i restored my backup DC 2.08.1..so i was coming from that..i wiped first even though i didnt have to but the boot loop happened so i flashed 2.1.1 again and then immediately flashed 2.1.2..so far so good..i flashed the wifi tether fix and it worked..i was able to get my vanilla lockscreen working so im good at the moment..only time will tell :D

Upvote 0
Is USB debugging turned on? It needs to be. (Menu/Settings/Applications/Development)

Also, you're running version 1.6 of WIFI Tether, right? You didn't update it with the version from the Market?

And, I think I saw someone else say to try to clear the cache for SU, (Menu/Settings/Applications/Manage Applications) if necessary.

And no, you don't need to turn WIFI on. In fact, WIFI Tether will turn it off if it finds that it is turned on when it launches.

debugging was not on, and that was the key. thank you!

very much liking this new fresh....

to answer your question, it is the tether that is inc. w/ fresh 2.1.2, is there a newer on I should update to? i didn't have any luck getting pc to pick it up w/ wep on, but fine w/o so nice proof of concept... surprised how fast 3g is on desktop browser. i was anticipating that it'd be much slower. 4g what? 3g is more than suitable when on the go.

Upvote 0
so far so good on the new rom, im really digging it.. only problems ive run into was some Force closing.. so far i cant get into manage applications (force closes everytime i try to go into it).. and opera mini force closed, but i uninstalled and reinstalled it and it now works.. still stuck on manage apps tho.. any ideas?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones