• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Fresh 3.2 (with either netarchy-toasted or kings kernel), does it drain you battery on idle?

tracerit

Android Enthusiast
May 7, 2010
Orange County, CA
I installed Fresh 3.2 and have used both netarchy-toasted and kings #8 (and9) kernels. With both combinations I've noticed that my battery drops 10-13% over night while i'm sleeping. I looked at Spare Parts and SystemPanel and nothing stands out, no app or service is taking over during that time. I did not have these problems when I was on the stock 2.2 unrooted setup :/

have you tried using the kernal it came with? I haven't tried the other 2 but I am using fresh 3.2 with the original kernal and I am averaging 14 hr battery life with no drainage over night...i have heard that sometimes the phone doesn't go to "sleep" when turning off the screen resulting in almost identical up time and awake times. If you check that and they are the same that could be the issue...however I am not too knowledgeable about kernals as I have yet to try anything else...but just putting in my 2 cents

Upvote 0
Reactions: Painkillaz
Upvote 0
it's abnormal because when i was unrooted with 2.2 it only dropped about 2% overnight...

Hmmm, 2% seems abnormal to me. If 2% for 8 hours is normal standby drainage, then the phone should last for 16.5 days on a charge if not used. Seems a bit high to me.

My phone has always dropped 1.2 to 1.5% an hour when I am not actively using it.

Upvote 0
Hmmm, 2% seems abnormal to me. If 2% for 8 hours is normal standby drainage, then the phone should last for 16.5 days on a charge if not used. Seems a bit high to me.

My phone has always dropped 1.2 to 1.5% an hour when I am not actively using it.

what ROM/kernal are you using? What is your up/awake time?

Edit: (for both you and tracerit) what radio's are on? When I am not using my phone the only other thing I have turned on along with 3g is GPS. Wifi, 4g, and bluetooth are all off

Upvote 0
what ROM/kernal are you using? What is your up/awake time?

Edit: (for both you and tracerit) what radio's are on? When I am not using my phone the only other thing I have turned on along with 3g is GPS. Wifi, 4g, and bluetooth are all off

ROM: Burnt Droid 1.1
Kernel: netarchy-toastmod 4.1.9.1 CFS
Radio: 2.15.00.07.28
PRI: 1.40_003
PRL: 60670

Up Time: 25:32:35
Awake Time: 1:31:45

Time since unplugged: 21:27:00
Battery remaining: 71%
Useage per hour: 1.4%

3g: On
4g: Off
GPS: Off
WiFi: Off
Bluetooth: Off

Upvote 0
im also using fresh 3.2 and my battery drains 2% after i unplug it from the charger with 100% battery. i dont use my phone that much except for playing wordfeud, which needs data and sync. i have overclock widget and i have it set for max on screen on and min for screen off. i get about 121:13 up time and 25:33 on awake time so far. i do carry an after market battery for spare just in case.

Upvote 0
nope, no overclock of any kind. I had SetCPU installed and just added the profile to underclock to 245 max with the screen off.

I actually logged into Facebook the other day so I logged out but i want to keep it in the future. Lets see if logging out does anything.

I've always cleaned both caches.

Using profiles in SetCPU negates the benefits of HAVS.

Upvote 0
Can you expand on this a little more? I'm using the screen off profile and underclocking at all times. Am I not saving battery? I'm using the same Fresh rom with that exact netarchy kernel. Thanks

This was recommended by the developer. I followed his advice and I am getting better battery life/performance. I am not 100% on this but I will attempt an explanation. HAVS actively adjusts to the lowest workable voltages based on frequencies. If you are constantly limiting your frequencies, HAVS will not be able to do its job so in essence it becomes useless. I believe the kernel is smart enough to lower frequencies automatically when the phone is idling regardless of CPU load so the screen off profile is not necessary. If your CPU frequency increases while idle, this is probably happening for a reason and the voltage will be lower anyway since the screen is off. Therefore, forcing your phone to work at a certain frequency is not as efficient as allowing the kernel to do its thing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones