Fresh 3.2 (with either netarchy-toasted or kings kernel), does it drain you battery on idle?

Last Updated:

1. tracerit

tracerit Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I installed Fresh 3.2 and have used both netarchy-toasted and kings #8 (and9) kernels. With both combinations I've noticed that my battery drops 10-13% over night while i'm sleeping. I looked at Spare Parts and SystemPanel and nothing stands out, no app or service is taking over during that time. I did not have these problems when I was on the stock 2.2 unrooted setup :/

Advertisement
  2. Painkillaz

Painkillaz Well-Known Member

have you tried using the kernal it came with? I haven't tried the other 2 but I am using fresh 3.2 with the original kernal and I am averaging 14 hr battery life with no drainage over night...i have heard that sometimes the phone doesn't go to "sleep" when turning off the screen resulting in almost identical up time and awake times. If you check that and they are the same that could be the issue...however I am not too knowledgeable about kernals as I have yet to try anything else...but just putting in my 2 cents

3. laredo7mm

laredo7mm Well-Known Member

How many hours is that?

On idle, my phone uses about 1.4% per hour.

If I were to guess, I would say you are sleeping about 7 to 9 hours a night.

4. tracerit

yeah 6-8 hours.

i'll have to check my uptime when i wake up tomorrow, i didn't check that today.

i didn't use the stock kernel because i'd like to have the frames uncapped. i'll eventually go back to it and test it out if i can't find out what's causing the current drainage with the uncapped fps kernels.

5. Painkillaz

do you have a non xda link to the downloads for the kernals? ive been wanting to try them but theyve been down all day

6. laredo7mm

Why do you think this usage is abnormal? What would you expect it to be? The phone has to use some juice when it is on and in standby.

7. Painkillaz

yea im sure it has to use something but definitely not That much

8. tracerit

Painkillaz likes this.
  9. laredo7mm

Hmmm, 2% seems abnormal to me. If 2% for 8 hours is normal standby drainage, then the phone should last for 16.5 days on a charge if not used. Seems a bit high to me.

My phone has always dropped 1.2 to 1.5% an hour when I am not actively using it.

10. Painkillaz

what ROM/kernal are you using? What is your up/awake time?

Edit: (for both you and tracerit) what radio's are on? When I am not using my phone the only other thing I have turned on along with 3g is GPS. Wifi, 4g, and bluetooth are all off

11. Painkillaz

Currently my Up time is: 4:15:20 and my Awake time is 1:21:15

12. tracerit

i'm at 4:25 up time/ 1:48 awake time so far.

i'm using the 2.15.00.07.28 radio.

13. laredo7mm

ROM: Burnt Droid 1.1
    Kernel: netarchy-toastmod 4.1.9.1 CFS
    Radio: 2.15.00.07.28
    PRI: 1.40_003
    PRL: 60670

Up Time: 25:32:35
    Awake Time: 1:31:45

Time since unplugged: 21:27:00
    Battery remaining: 71%
    Useage per hour: 1.4%

3g: On
    4g: Off
    GPS: Off
    WiFi: Off
    Bluetooth: Off

14. Painkillaz

so you only used the phone for a total of 1 1/2 hours? in 25 hours?...how is your battery life when you use it more than that?

15. laredo7mm

Yes

I don't know, I don't use my phone for what it was made for...;)

16. Painkillaz

kind of hijacked the thread...i apologize...but yea other than what was discussed I have no idea what could be draining your battery life so much...did you over clock the processor?

Edit: I just flashed the netarchy kernal...i will let you know after tonight if I am having the same issue

17. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

try clearing cache and dalvik cache and reflashing the kernel. you should be doing that before you flash kernels anyway :)

18. Drew5150

Drew5150 Well-Known Member

do you have facebook on your phone? do you use it? might want to delete facebook as a test and see if its causing any issues. its been known to cause some battery drains.

19. tracerit

nope, no overclock of any kind. I had SetCPU installed and just added the profile to underclock to 245 max with the screen off.

I actually logged into Facebook the other day so I logged out but i want to keep it in the future. Lets see if logging out does anything.

I've always cleaned both caches.

20. Painkillaz

yea so far with the netarchy kernal the only issue i am having is random restarts...i haven't had a random restart up until i flashed that...i was unable to check the battery over night as it was almost dead before i went to sleep so i will check tonight

21. tracerit

I turned off mobile data and WiFi and syncs last night. 0% drop for 5 hours so I think its got something to do with an app using data.

22. ToreUpFrmDflorUp

ToreUpFrmDflorUp Member

im also using fresh 3.2 and my battery drains 2% after i unplug it from the charger with 100% battery. i dont use my phone that much except for playing wordfeud, which needs data and sync. i have overclock widget and i have it set for max on screen on and min for screen off. i get about 121:13 up time and 25:33 on awake time so far. i do carry an after market battery for spare just in case.

23. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

Using profiles in SetCPU negates the benefits of HAVS.

24. Cruecu

Cruecu Well-Known Member

Can you expand on this a little more? I'm using the screen off profile and underclocking at all times. Am I not saving battery? I'm using the same Fresh rom with that exact netarchy kernel. Thanks

25. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

This was recommended by the developer. I followed his advice and I am getting better battery life/performance. I am not 100% on this but I will attempt an explanation. HAVS actively adjusts to the lowest workable voltages based on frequencies. If you are constantly limiting your frequencies, HAVS will not be able to do its job so in essence it becomes useless. I believe the kernel is smart enough to lower frequencies automatically when the phone is idling regardless of CPU load so the screen off profile is not necessary. If your CPU frequency increases while idle, this is probably happening for a reason and the voltage will be lower anyway since the screen is off. Therefore, forcing your phone to work at a certain frequency is not as efficient as allowing the kernel to do its thing.