Fresh Hero 2.3 (just got the e-mail)

Last Updated:

1. dmm5157

dmm5157 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just got an e-mail from Flipz on a new beta for Fresh Hero 2.3 for donors/testers:

Hi Hero users! Fresh Rom 2.3 beta is ready for you all to test out. I can't fully test everything on my Hero because it's not activated anymore, so make sure to let me know what issues you come across. :) I renamed it from Fresh 2.2 to Fresh 2.3 because everyone was mistaking it for froyo and not just the next build number of Fresh Rom (now called Fresh Hero, to separate it from my Evo rom).

I'm typing this up extremely fast as I am walking out the door so hopefully the downloads and everything work. I'll be back in a couple of hours to check for any issues. :)

I'm going to give this one a shot, as I have a free evening staying in (it's storming over here). I'll report how it looks and if it seems like it's worth keeping an eye out for when it's available to everyone else.

Advertisement
  2. dmm5157

Well, it's deodexed so space is a bit of an issue. I went from running Fresh Toast 2.1.1 to this Fresh Hero 2.3 beta and couldn't restore all my apps because I didn't have enough room. I was running around 45mb free space with tons of apps (I don't use Apps2SD) but this time I had to cut down quite a bit and I'm still pushing 30MB free space.

One thing I do like is the double menu click to unlock is no longer on the ROM. I'm actually happy about this, as I am guilty of pocket dialing quite a bit. I had started getting used to using the double menu click to unlock lately, as I started using a Body Glove (it helps prevent double menu clicks a bit so I stopped using LockBot). I guess I can ditch the body glove now, as accidental unlocks are pretty much eliminated now.

Network connection seems to be stable and doesn't drop out like Fresh Toast 2.1.1 did. Everything I've tried thus far seems to work well, it's just not as fast (not overclocked), but SMOOOOOOOOOTH! The phone feels responsive, the battery so far is very efficient.

Lag on dialing/answering calls is still there, but from what I understand that is going to happen with all ROMS based on the CDMA release of Android 2.1.

I'm going to try this one out for a day or two and compare with my wife's phone, which is loaded with Zenexp.

3. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Well-Known Member

I just don't know if a ROM will work as good as 2.0d does for me. It's fast and responsive, I can't complain about it. I tried DC 2.9 (i think that's the version), blue echo and they just don't compare. Even tried Fresh's 2.1.2, had to revert back. I hope when it comes out of beta it will be worth a switch.

4. Squiggy

Squiggy Well-Known Member

I agree with you. Right now I'm stuck on Zen's ROM. Went from Fresh to Damage, back to Fresh and now on Zen. Definitely the smoothest so far.

5. RollBravesRoll

RollBravesRoll Active Member

What is 2.0d? I've heard several people reference it & am interested in trying it out but haven't been able to find it. I'm on 2.1.2 &, while I do like it, there are still a few things I wish were a little different & there are still some lags & what not that I was hoping would not be there.

I'm looking for a high performance ROM & my only real requirement is that I continue to be able to connect to my exchange server at the office. Since my e-mails all transfer in & my contacts all do the same, I have no problem continuously flashing a new ROM on here (or even wiping down, if must be) until I find one I don't want to change away from.

6. RollBravesRoll

RollBravesRoll Active Member

Also, where can I D/L the newest version of Fresh Toast? I'm just on the regular, stabilized version of Fresh, 2.1.2, but I'd love to try Toast before moving forward.

7. dmm5157

Fresh Toast 2.1 is the latest (and last?) version of Fresh Toast for the Hero. Even if a newer one comes out, it appears it will be called Fresh Toast Hero (as Flipz is adding the Hero in the name to keep the Evo/Hero roms seperateD).

You can read about it and get it here:

Download: Fresh Toast v2.1 Geek For Me – Sprint Evo 4g & CDMA Hero

I liked it a lot more than 2.1.2. Much more space on the memory card when installed, as it's not deodexed, but it is overclocked. I used that one for about a month and loved it!

8. chinkster

chinkster Well-Known Member

anything other problems besides the ones you've listed above? seems like the only thing different from fresh 2.1.2 is the fix for the menu unlock. please let us know of any further bugs/problems

9. dmm5157

I used the rom for about a day and was getting some funky behavior with Gmail not syncing immediately like it would with Fresh Toast.

I admit that I switched over to ZenEXP yesterday, after setting up my wife with it on Saturday morning and watching her use it with great success.

I may give Fresh Hero 2.3 a shot if Gmail sync is fixed, but I agree with you that it didn't really add much, other than the menu-menu unlock feature (which is an easy option to flash on/off with ZenEXP's updater app). I don't really follow how to use PowerTop, so that addition didn't do much for me (that I could tell).

10. jeffreynothing43

jeffreynothing43 Well-Known Member

gmail doesn't synch...deal breaker for me. i'll wait.

11. bubbles7361

bubbles7361 Active Member

What is 2.3 supposed to add over his last release? I have been running 2.1.2 for a while now and love it.

12. dmm5157

Removed menu-menu tap to unlock

Added PowerTop for app/process management.

That was about all I noticed that was different. And since it appears Gmail sync is broken, I didn't stay with it very long.

13. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

what is it lately with gmail sync breaking? it wasn't working right in 2.1.2 (for me as well as other minor problems).. I was going to give Zena shot but gmail is broke in that too... so far everything is working in DC 2.0.9.1 for me.. I was really hoping that Fresh 2.3 would be a winner since I really like Fresh ROM's

14. chinkster

chinkster Well-Known Member

what do you guys mean when you say gmail sync is broken? i am using fresh 2.1.2 and i get my email notifications???

15. Taterus Maximus

Taterus Maximus Well-Known Member

I wonder if JIT will work on this, my understanding is that it won't on 2.1.1 and 2.1.2

16. jeffreynothing43

jeffreynothing43 Well-Known Member

errghh...really? were talking about 2.3!! sheesh...and NO, gmail synch doesn't work right in 2.1.2. sometimes it gets hung up and won't erase your mail in your inbox when you log into your gmail from computer. try to keep up with the pace here ok? :)

17. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

there were many times with 2.1.2 that I would get a gmail notification only to find that I had 5 or 6 emails that I was never notified about. or deleting emails in the app (or on the PC) would not sync correctly.. very annoying.

18. SteaminLoaf

SteaminLoaf Member

I was wondering the same thing. I have been on Fresh for months and switched to Aloysius last night. Its fast as heck thanks to JIT, but I don't like the overall look and I only notice the speed difference in a benchmark, not normal use. It also seems more glitchy. I'm itching to get back to Fresh. Would be nice to get JIT to play nice with Sense.

19. Taterus Maximus

Taterus Maximus Well-Known Member

I was running DarchDroid for a little while, that was fast too, but I never thought I'd miss some HTC stuff like the dialer and people.

20. SteaminLoaf

SteaminLoaf Member

yes-the dialer was the last straw for me... i already switched back to fresh toast!

I'll do a nandroid recovery to bring everything back once i get home. I couldnt wait though, had to have sense back.

Maybe we'll get a nice 2.2 rom ported over to the Hero somewhere down the line, where we can have a better JIT compiler, and Sense goodies.