• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Fresh is Awesome

ejchis

May 12, 2010
MI
My phone had been running really well on Bugless Beast .3--not perfect, but I had no major complaints. Then the update came out the other day, and, of course, I needed to screw with something that wasn't broken. I hadn't done step 2 of rooting yet, so I spent a couple of hours getting that all done right, and I flashed to DamageControl 3.2.2. It was nothing but issues for me there, and I was pissed that I hadn't just let things be. Some of the most basic things were buggy for me, I was getting FCs way too often, and I was running out of patience with trying to make it work.

Last night I wiped and flashed to Fresh 0.5.3. I'm not kidding about this: my phone has never operated this well. Literally, I cannot find any bugs or tweaks or issues. I even went through the posts here and did some tests. Everything seems to be perfect. I'm typing this on my laptop while wirelessly tethered and looking at my phone in the 270 rotation (what a great feature for us south paws). The thing is snappy as hell now, and even a lot of the features that I had never gotten working properly at any point before, such as FB sync, are working perfectly now.

It probably didn't need to be said, but I wanted to make sure anyone who wasn't sure about rooting and running a custom rom knew about one very greliable option. And I also wanted to express my appreciation to flipz. I'm once again so happy about this phone. Thanks, flipz.

note: this is not meant as a rip on DamageControl. I know the developer has put in a lot of work and made a rom that a lot of people really like and appreciate. For some reason, DC just wouldn't play nicely with my phone no matter what I did.

I have used Damaged since I first bought my HERO and always stuck to his roms. However last night I was feed up with his latest on my EVO and I flashed over to Fresh and this rom is ROCK Solid!!! My only grip is the gallery app that links directly into your picasa albums. Does anyone know if we can get that option on Fresh's rom?

Upvote 0
I've had it for a few days now and I love it!! The only thing I wish they hadn"t removed is the FM Radio as I actually used it on a everyday basis. Is there a way to reinstall it using Fresh??

Yes, there is a way to push the app to your phone through ADB. I did it and it is working just fine.

Instructions are here: Fresh Evo: Official Change Log Geek For Me – Sprint Evo 4g & CDMA Hero

Boot into recovery and issue the following commands:
adb shell mount /sdcard
adb shell mount /system
adb shell
cp /sdcard/fresh-removed-apks/WHATEVERAPP.apk /system/app

Reactions: acuzerfdw
Upvote 0
I've had it for a few days now and I love it!! The only thing I wish they hadn"t removed is the FM Radio as I actually used it on a everyday basis. Is there a way to reinstall it using Fresh??

I actually remember reading about some radio app that would stream major stations to your phone. It was like a dollar or two. It would connect to the station's stream version online. I can look around if you want.

Upvote 0
I was running unrevokedon my Evo and then did the new update and it killed my unrevoked. I am wanting to root my phone and flash Fresh 0.5.3, but will this work with me now running this new 2.1 update??

If you download from the ROM Manager it says Fresh 0.5.3 requires you to have Root and NAND unlocked and that the unrevoked method wont work. If you want it to work, it sounds like you'll have to unroot your phone, and reroot it using toast method.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones