• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Fresh root, some issues...

Hi I have successfully rooted my telstra branded desire using Lekky's guide. after i rooted it i installed defrost 2.7 to update it to a 2.2 rom as suggested in the rooting guide.

ever since i did this, i have been having issues with things like the market place and weather bug.

weatherbug will not update the widget unless i remove it from my home screen and then re-add it. (i dunno if this is related to the rom or the rooting process or what though)

the market place issue is far more annoying. i can browse apps/widgets now problem. and originally i was able to download and install them no issue. now i cannot update or download anything. i always get the message "download unsuccessful"
i have read many different threads and i have trying most of the options such as clearing various cache via the manage applications option screen. i am still unsuccessful.
i cannot install things such as snesoid... and canot update things like system info widget etc.

are you guys able to help? i am new to rooting and dont really know what to do, but its super annoying!

ps this is my first post here.

thanks,
Jon

sorry i dont mean to be stupid and unknowledgable but be flashing the 5.7 rom do you mean just downloading and installing the new rom?
or am i missing something here?

like i said im new to this.

it sounds like defrost inst the way to go by your post... is there somehting better i should try? i really only wanted to update to 2.2 as telstra still havent released it yet.

Upvote 0
In my opinion, defrost is the best thing to happen to telephony since they removed the requirement to wind the phone to generate enough electricity to ask the operator to connect your call, but that's me.

Defrost is vanilla meaning it has mo HTC apps or widgets on it at,all. This for me is great

You should be able to go into your defrost setup app and download the latest version. Since version 3, defrost is based on a new Rom do would recommend doing a wipe of all data, installing the latest version and starting fresh

Reactions: no1_electrician
Upvote 0
HI danfrance, ive tried to update to 5.7 but im not getting anywhere...

ive downloaded the 5.7 zip file and moved it to my SD card.
originally i tried to update the ROM via the defrost menu but the only one that it said was available was 3.5b and the zip file was missing from the download location.

when i try to run the zip file through the rom manager app it asks me if i want to backup the existing rom and wipe all data. i tick both boxes and then it asks to reboot and enter into the clockwork recovery mode. i get the android guy and an exclamation mark inside a triangle on the screen, i hit the power button and go to the clockwork recovery menu.
reading the script from when it tried to load it says:

ClockworkMod recovery v2.5.0.1
finding update package...
opening update package...
verifying update package...
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

do i select install zip from sd card->choose zip from sdcard->DeFroST.zip ? it then ask me to confirm install and warns me that this cannot be undone. is this the correct way to go about it? i just wanna know if i can go back after i do this? it seems to indicate that i cant. will i need to?

Upvote 0
Erm, yeah but you don't have to.press buttons after selecting the Rom. In Rom manager, before first use did.you use the "flash clockwork recovery"?

I'm not sure if lekkys guide for rooting includes clockwork mod. If it does, it may actually replace your actual recovery. Rom manager doesn't really flash it. It puts update.zip on your SD.

If you already have clockwork from rooting and have already flashed clockwork in Rom manager, just manually install by booting into clockworkmod yourself.

Does Rom manager allow you.to backup.as an operation of its own?

Reactions: no1_electrician
Upvote 0
yes his metho does use the clockword mod recovery, and i did originally flash it.

so i booted into clockwork mod and took the options:
install zip from sd card-> choose zip from sdcard-> DeFroST_5.7.zip
i get the error
E:Can't open /sdcard/DeFroST_5.7.zip (bad) installation aborted.

does this mean that the zip im using is corrupt? or somehow incorrect?
or maybe im just a noob and missing something...

maybe i should start over?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones