Freshly Rooted Droid

Last Updated:

1. Lars1

Lars1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I DID IT! (Puffs chest, Big Smile).

I rooted and ROM'd yesterday. It took a little while to actually root but it took a LONG while to re-install all of my apps and configure screens.

Will I have to do this every time I install a new ROM?

Also, will my phone still receive OTA updates as before?

Thanks,

Advertisement
  2. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

titanium backup can backup your apps and app data. If you use a custom launcher it can backup your home screens on that launcher although widgets will have to be reset

3. King_Bean

King_Bean Well-Known Member

*looks at OP's location*

[Beavis_Butthead] hehehehehehe [/Beavis_Butthead]

4. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

CONGRATULATIONS! You're rooted and ROMmed! :D

I also suggest that you spend the little bit of money for the Titanium Backup paid version. It's a license key that resides on your SD Card. With the paid version you can do a batch backup of ALL your apps and app data onto the SD Card.

After wiping and ROMming then the first thing to get from the market is Titanium Backup. It will read the license key and then you can batch RESTORE all your apps and app data. I saved me hours of time restoring each app individually.

Hope this helps!

As far as OTAs go, which ROM are you using? I know Bugless Beast disables OTA updates.

5. Lars1

Lars1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

[/QUOTE]As far as OTAs go, which ROM are you using? I know Bugless Beast disables OTA updates.[/QUOTE]

Thanks much.

So far I am using BB 1.1 (love it!).

So how do I get OTA updates or do I not worry about it and just install a new ROM?

Also, what BB would y'all recommend using today?

Thanks again.

6. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

I'm using the new Bugless Beast 0.2 based on the Android 2.2 Froyo. Lots of enhancements. Just make a nandroid backup, backup all your apps + app data, wipe data and wipe cache (3 times each just to be sure) and then update.zip. Done! And you'll have all the Froyo goodness. BTW I am using SPRecovery, not sure what you're using...

Any OTA that Verizon sends out will be a DOWNGRADE from the ROMs that are based on the same release. Don't sweat the OTAs. Just know that you'll probably already have more than what stock users are waiting for.