• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root FRG22D update while rooted

OK, you may get notifications (I want to say you will b/c of the fact that you are not running an alternate ROM that is blocking it, but it may still get blocked) but the installation will be blocked if you have a working custom recovery.

IF YOUR RECOVERY HAS REVERTED TO THE STOCK RECOVERY, IT MAY {WILL} ALLOW THE INSTALLATION TO PROCEED.

Now would be a good time to check your recovery.

Upvote 0
OK, you may get notifications (I want to say you will b/c of the fact that you are not running an alternate ROM that is blocking it, but it may still get blocked) but the installation will be blocked if you have a working custom recovery.

IF YOUR RECOVERY HAS REVERTED TO THE STOCK RECOVERY, IT MAY {WILL} ALLOW THE INSTALLATION TO PROCEED.

Now would be a good time to check your recovery.

True. OP, do you have a custom rom?

Upvote 0
Custom recovery still good. So could I unroot, wait for FRG22, after i get it root again? I used EasyRoot app. Any reasons I should or shouldn't?

Technically, unrooting won't necessarily allow the update to occur - you'll still need to flash the stock recovery back onto your phone.

Or, you could wait for the update to appear, then manually apply it with your custom recovery. However, I am not 100% sure that would work (in theory, it *should* - but after that you'd be at stock FRG22D, after which you could root again).

Reactions: zachjen
Upvote 0
Ok, I went from a rooted Droid w/ the first update on it and flashed the second, I can't believe I forgot to go back to stock. Anyways, I thought easy root or universal androot would be able to fix my problem. This was NOT the case, I now have the su app, no su permissions, and both the rooting apps say I'm rooted already and fail at unrooting. My only option is RSD lite. So, I'm gonna state the obvious, do not attempt flashing the update unless you are at stock!

Upvote 0
Ok, I went from a rooted Droid w/ the first update on it and flashed the second, I can't believe I forgot to go back to stock. Anyways, I thought easy root or universal androot would be able to fix my problem. This was NOT the case, I now have the su app, no su permissions, and both the rooting apps say I'm rooted already and fail at unrooting. My only option is RSD lite. So, I'm gonna state the obvious, do not attempt flashing the update unless you are at stock!

RSD Lite is not the only option. I suggest using the Droid 2 root method.

Droid 2

Theres only a little addition to the directions to make them work for the Droid 1.

After the second time you do ADB Devices then go into ADB shell like the directions say and do the following

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system

then exit and follow the rest of the directions

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones