Friction Dash Mounts?

Last Updated:

1. mikespe

mikespe Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone tried those friction dash mounts...you know the ones usually on beanbags (they make other styles as well). I am thinking on getting one because I already have my Sirius radio on the windshield as well as my radar detector....I figured I better cool it with the windshield mounts! :eek:

Advertisement
  2. ahaidet

ahaidet Member

Never tried one. I am sure I would make it fly off with the first on-ramp I took. But I drive a little more aggressively than the average bear...:rolleyes:

Check the thread on the custom installs. They have a mount that screws/ adhesives between the cracks in the trim near the radio. There have been a few threads with details on how to do it. Looks really clean and doesn't seem all that difficult to do. In fact some guy was showing how he has his satelite radio and phone on the same mount.

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/16665-car-cradle-what-do-you-think.html

3. link1305

link1305 Active Member

I just purchased one of these (Amzer Non-Slip Weighted Beanbag Dash Mount For Verizon - Verizon Motorola Droid A855 - Vehicle Mounts - Fommy.com) last week, and I like it a lot. I've used it along with the navigation for a couple short trips, and it works well.

The nice thing is they send you a generic beanbag with a flat, hard surface in the middle AND a droid holder with a suction cup. The suction cup attaches to the flat surface for when you use the beanbag, but you could just as easily put it directly on the windshield! So you basically get 2 in 1.

4. Wakey

Wakey Well-Known Member

5. malklavious

malklavious Well-Known Member

Is the Droid mount sized so the phone snaps into place?

I have the BodyGlove case on mine so I'm looking for a more generic friction mount. Any suggestions?

6. Lucidot

Lucidot Well-Known Member

Does that mount allow for landscape mode? From looking at the pictures on Fommy it would appear that portrait is the only way you can use it.

I am looking for a friction mount as I only drive new or newer vehicles and I am not sure I would want to use any type of adhesive on my dash(s).

Anyone know of any other friction mounts?

7. link1305

link1305 Active Member

Yes, you can turn it any way you want. The stand has a ball joint so you it swivels to landscape mode.

8. Lucidot

Does the case have the magnets in it? I'm not sure what it is called but from what I understand the OEM mount has magnets in it for media mode or something like that.

BTW: Thanks for the quick reply.

9. link1305

link1305 Active Member

It doesn't have the magnet, but you could add it yourself by taping or gluing it to the back.

10. Lucidot

Link1305, Can you by chance take a picture of it on the dash or wherever with the phone in the landscape position? For the life of me from looking at the pictures on the site I cannot see how it swivels. Why wouldn't they have a pictures of it in both positions?

TIA

11. link1305

link1305 Active Member

Sorry for the delay, here are some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

I'm using one made for the Garmin dash units. I have the Verizon droid dash mount attached to the ball on the Garmin part. Works just fine. The suction cup kept unsticking off the little plastic puck you're supposed to stick to the dash. The bottom of the Garmin mount is that slightly tacky rubber stuff that you can wash off if it gets dirty. Haven't had a problem with it sliding or falling over. It's this part, Garmin Portable friction mount - GPS receiver holder for car

13. clintiepoo

clintiepoo Well-Known Member

The full-sized garmin mount works as well. The ball is the same size as the one on the droid. The droid looks a little small on it, though. I'm gonna keep both devices and mounted my droid somewhere else with the sticky pad.