• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fring video calling to Sprint EVO! (with Skype support)

Skype told me this isn't supported...you guys have done fring to skype video calls?
I just did this last night!

It's WAY better than Qik too; one party doesn't have to touch a button to talk, and it works on other Android devices, even iPhone, not just EVO (like Qik).

The only thing I noticed for Skype was when it imports your contacts, it doesn't update them if you change them at least not immediately. Not sure what the lag is on this, but I added a contact to Skype and never saw it show up on Fring on EVO.

Upvote 0
Skype told me this isn't supported...you guys have done fring to skype video calls?

YES!!! I have done EVO to EVO video calls and I have done EVO to computer video calls. Works quite will. In fact, I find skype over the computer to be a bit laggy and choppy....I was surprised at the video quality. Anyway, pretty damn cool to have skype video capability in your pocket. If you stay logged onto fring and skype it will show your other skype contacts that you are online and available. So stay logged on and your contacts will always be able to get in touch with you.

Upvote 0

OK, there's "not supported" and then there's "not supported."

If you go to Skype's cell phone page it shows that they have an Android client for some Verizon phones.

And in this world, software is divided into clients and servers (and sometimes clouds). The client part is the part most people are familiar with. Your email and browser programs are clients. (MS Word, just to mention a different example, is a complete program within itself, as opposed to most things that communicate.)

What Skype said is that they're not supporting Fring as a client to reach their services - not that they disapprove or that you'll be in or cause any sort of trouble.

Just as AOL, Yahoo and Microsoft don't support the many chat clients for their stuff - that you'll find many copies of, all over the Market, that all work.

That's a nice part of the client/server model: as long as the client conforms to the messaging protocol, it's going to work.

Skype wants users - they want you to love it, use the free part, and then buy credits and use it to make phone calls.

Fring - on an Evo - makes and receives video calls with the Skype desktop client available on PCs and Macs and other phones, just as the others are saying.

Skype reported that they're going to open up and make some generic Android client that's good for other phones. Mmmmk. Meanwhile and even after, I'll stick with Fring.

Now - if Fring would add A/V support to their AIM side, then I'd be able to do this with my buddies that are so far iChat only users. Not all protocols will support videochat - Skype's and AIM's does.

Upvote 0
Fring is great! Just had a successful video call to a friend who lives across town as I was sitting by the pool with family, I was using fring (on my end) and she was using skype at home on her PC ... I sat the EVO on the kickstand and we all sat around the phone outside in 3G able to still catch some rays and video chat, very cool!

This is the new wave, that right there was enough for me to say it was all worth it, coming from the Pre!

Also as a side note, pretty cool to take camera shots with the front camera (which by the way is amazing quality!) :p

Upvote 0
Okay, can someone explain EXACTLY what they did to get video calling from fring to skype on a pc?

When I first got the EVO i had my friend purchase an online skype number. I tried calling it from fring but only got audio, no video. When attempting to make video calls from Skype, it wouldn't let me. The video chat feature only came on if I attempted to call a skype user.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

update: Cr@p, so it looks like it's going to work if i add the person to my skype list and have that imported into my fring friends list. Like I said before, if you call a skype online number, no dice on getting video.

Upvote 0
Lol. It's not surprising, doesn't Verizon have Skype exclusivity for their mobiles?

Absolutely not.

Only for one of their clients.

Neither is Skype exclusive to Verizon or even Android - see Skype's website for proof.

And when you had a phone that you couldn't a Skype-made client for, there's always been for-pay apps floating around made by 3rd parties.

Upvote 0
Okay, can someone explain EXACTLY what they did to get video calling from fring to skype on a pc?

When I first got the EVO i had my friend purchase an online skype number. I tried calling it from fring but only got audio, no video. When attempting to make video calls from Skype, it wouldn't let me. The video chat feature only came on if I attempted to call a skype user.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Please see my post earlier and let me know if that answers your question.

You don't use purchased on-line numbers.

Steps for right account:

1. Go to the Get Skype page.

2. Download the client to your PC.

3. Ignore everything about getting a paid account.

4. Get a free Skype account. This will not be a phone number - it will be an alias, just like vblick (you can even try to use that one, they'll let you if it's available. Since I use mine for work, mine is first_name.last_name from real life.

5. Add each other as buddies, per my advice above.

Let me know if that helps.

PS - You mentioned "The video chat feature only came on if I attempted to call a skype user."

Correct - that's how Skype works. They won't support phone numbers - they don't know if that number is being used at someone's PC or at Aunt Fanny's Windows cell phone.

Videochat - until now - was a desktop feature.

Upvote 0
Please see my post earlier and let me know if that answers your question.

You don't use purchased on-line numbers.

Steps for right account:

1. Go to the Get Skype page.

2. Download the client to your PC.

3. Ignore everything about getting a paid account.

4. Get a free Skype account. This will not be a phone number - it will be an alias, just like vblick (you can even try to use that one, they'll let you if it's available. Since I use mine for work, mine is first_name.last_name from real life.

5. Add each other as buddies, per my advice above.

Let me know if that helps.

PS - You mentioned "The video chat feature only came on if I attempted to call a skype user."

Correct - that's how Skype works. They won't support phone numbers - they don't know if that number is being used at someone's PC or at Aunt Fanny's Windows cell phone.

Videochat - until now - was a desktop feature.

Thanks. That's what I did and it appears like it's going to work because in their friends list it now shows my name and that i'm on fring. So once they are available we should be good to go.

To the guy above this post, sometimes logging into skype from fring is finicky like that. Keep trying and it will eventually work and import your contacts.

Upvote 0

Thanks. That's what I did and it appears like it's going to work because in their friends list it now shows my name and that i'm on fring. So once they are available we should be good to go.

To the guy above this post, sometimes logging into skype from fring is finicky like that. Keep trying and it will eventually work and import your contacts.

Ok...thanks, ive been trying all morning to log in but I'll keep trying.thanks for the input:)

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
If it helps anybody.... I registered with fring and then tried to sign onto skype(I am already an experienced skype user). It would not sign on. I logged out of fring and then logged back in and then it allowed me to log into skype. What is cool is all of your skype contacts are exported to fring and all of your contacts can see you online when you are signed in.

What I want to know, is that if I stay logged into to skype via fring if that will end up burning up battery. My EVO was new on friday and my first battery cycle was very impressive...20 hours! I started today on a new charge and so far, 2 hours into it still have a full charge. But we will see if remaining logged in burns up battery.

Edit: I have not checked fring since I pulled the phone off the charger. It appears that the fring logged out(or went to some standby mode) while on charger because when I went into the app, it gave me a "login swirly whirly" for about 5 seconds and then hooked up.

Upvote 0
Can't even log on to skype on fring:(by the way do your friends avatar shoe on fring?

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, avatars don't show up.

Odd about some/many people having Skype login problems. I just unsubscribed and re-subscribed to my Skype add-on in Fring - logged me in instantly.

If it comes back with user/pass not recognized, I can only suggest the obvious - verify your login at a desktop, go to Skype and reset your password if it fails.

Sometimes - rarely from my years of experience - you'll get a hiccup and you'll have to reset your password.

Upvote 0
What I want to know, is that if I stay logged into to skype via fring if that will end up burning up battery. My EVO was new on friday and my first battery cycle was very impressive...20 hours! I started today on a new charge and so far, 2 hours into it still have a full charge. But we will see if remaining logged in burns up battery.

It's my experience that all chat clients are big battery users.

They're in constant communication with their data services, wanting to use your 3G radio as much as your 2G radio (if that's the right name for the phone radio).

Upvote 0
Okay, I had fring/skype signed in all day yesterday. I will admit that I was out on the bay so signal out there is quite spotty. I also had my phone in a locker so that probably didn't help the signal. When I retrieved my phone about 6pm(took it off the charger at about 10 am) it still had some battery life(about 30%) but you could tell the phone had been working because it was warm to the touch. Based on this, I would say the EVO battery is quite substantial. When my Moment would "warm up", that thing was toast in less than 2 hours. Anyway, my battery still lasted into the later evening and I got the 5% warning at about 9pm.

Also, whenever fring/skype is continuously signed in, I do know that the android system battery stats are in the upper 90 percentile. ANd when I sign out, that excessiveness goes away and back to "normal". So I guess I will not keep my phone signed into fring/skype. I am otherwise experience very decent battery life!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones