• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fring video calling to Sprint EVO! (with Skype support)

Does anybody have an issue with fring saying aim,yahoo, and msn does not support video calls my phone keeps saying this? The only thing i have done to my phone is unrevoked w/ OTA update

Yes and no. Fring doesn't support video calls over those transports. Being documented as such, whether or not it's an issue is open to the definition of the word issue.

FWIW - I'd noted this earlier, that Fring was only making statements about video chats via the Skype protocol.

Upvote 0
So after having 4 Evos on my account since launch day, here is my take on the video calling...

Fring: Has better video quality than Qik but has horrible audio quality. There is a feedback loop that just gets worse and worse the longer you talk, no matter how far away the other party is (even if the other party is at another location entirely). Also, you can't use it with a bluetooth headset (at least not my jawbone icon, which has A2DP and I can hear my music, GPS, visual voicemail, etc). It doesn't support the rear camera either. And the front camera reverses everything (it does this in every app though).

Qik: Has horrible video quality. Seriously, it is basically worthless since you can't make anything out on the screen. The audio quality is a lot better than Fring though, probably because 1 party has to push a button while they talk, like a walkie talkie. It does let you use the rear camera though (in equally horrible video quality as the front camera) and it sometimes works with a bluetooth headset (intermittently).

These apps are a fine start, no doubt. But, as you can see from my takes on them, they both have a long ways to go. Hopefully we'll see some updates that will address these.

Heck, if they just combined all the good points from each one we'd have a pretty nice app. But as it stands right now, one is totally worthless as far as video goes, but has decent audio (though intermittent bluetooth, and a walkie talkie like button you have to push while you talk) and works with either camera (in horrible video quality). And the other has pretty good video quality (but only works on the front camera) and worthless audio, with no bluetooth.

Half a dozen of one, and six of the other.

But these apps are still in their infancy, so there is plenty of room to be optimistic that future updates will get it right.

Upvote 0
I'm not using bluetooth, I use a wired headset.

Audio is great, in and out, with Fring/Skype, no echoes, no bad side effects whatsoever. I've had 20 minute video calls with it, no feedback loop as you describe.

Have you tried an EVO to EVO video call where the other person was not using a wired headset? I'm pretty sure they would be getting really bad feedback on their end unless they turned the volume way down.

Upvote 0
This is what I was referring to. We were doing an EVO to EVO call via native Fring and I heard my own voice coming through the speaker after talking. This happened for both of us. Turning the volume down solved the echos but I then could not hear the other party. Plugging in head phones helped somewhat. I have not tried a headset with mic yet.

Upvote 0
This is what I was referring to. We were doing an EVO to EVO call via native Fring and I heard my own voice coming through the speaker after talking. This happened for both of us. Turning the volume down solved the echos but I then could not hear the other party. Plugging in head phones helped somewhat. I have not tried a headset with mic yet.

OK - ringing a bell.

I used to hate Skype for conferencing because it was computer dependent on which configurations had - or did not have - echoing. Later upgrades solved that.

I've also used my Evo without a headset - no troubles.

Skype has always used a cloud model - meaning things could be routed anywhere. I once file transferred to California from New Mexico, and things actually routed through France. Needless to say, that xfer was not going so well, so we re-initiated and it went well.

If it was a one-time issue, try exiting Fring and then re-doing.

Upvote 0
No, I don't know anyone else with an Evo - yet.

Mine were all Evo to Evo calls. Wait til you do a video call with someone on an Evo, you will get the feedback on Fring, I guarantee it.

It doesn't matter if you are using a headset or not because the other party would get the feedback, and you would hear it.

If you are both using a headset, it might fix the problem. But even when the company first demoed Fring in that video, they were getting the feedback too.

Trust me, I've probably done hundreds of video calls since I got my Evo, all Evo to Evo, and there is an annoying audio feedback on Fring.

Now I haven't tried it with a wired headset, so if both parties have one it will probably correct it. I suspect this is why Qik requires one party to hit a button to talk.

Upvote 0
Mine were all Evo to Evo calls. Wait til you do a video call with someone on an Evo, you will get the feedback on Fring, I guarantee it.

It doesn't matter if you are using a headset or not because the other party would get the feedback, and you would hear it.

If you are both using a headset, it might fix the problem. But even when the company first demoed Fring in that video, they were getting the feedback too.

Trust me, I've probably done hundreds of video calls since I got my Evo, all Evo to Evo, and there is an annoying audio feedback on Fring.

Now I haven't tried it with a wired headset, so if both parties have one it will probably correct it. I suspect this is why Qik requires one party to hit a button to talk.

OK - are we talking Skype to Skype via Fring or Fring to Fring directly?

If Skype, that's back to the Skype problem/fix not being sufficient for the mic/speaker placement on this device.

Hello Skype - a little software can go a long way!!

I say that in anticipation only of your answer. Skype, via headset or speaker, works without echo for me - but that's not with 2 Evos.

Upvote 0

If Skype, that's back to the Skype problem/fix not being sufficient for the mic/speaker placement on this device.

I say that in anticipation only of your answer. Skype, via headset or speaker, works without echo for me - but that's not with 2 Evos.
Well I'm talking Fring video calls, Evo to Evo. So I know it uses Skype to do it (both parties need to have the Skype plugin) but I am pretty sure it's a Fring thing and not a Skype thing causing the problem.

I could be wrong, as I have never used Skype before this (I signed up with Skype specifically for this). But it just seems to me that if Fring put a button you have to push when you talk (the way Qik does) it would solve this problem. Also, if Fring worked with a bluetooth headset it would solve it too.

Also, I don't want anyone to think I am bashing these apps. I know these are basically beta versions that got released, as the Evo was the first device with an open api for the front cam. So I know they couldn't possibly have everything worked out until after the device was released for a bit and the apps put to the test. I am quite certain that these bugs will be worked out.

Qik's poor video quality is a lot more troubling to me than Fring's poor audio quality and lack of rear camera support. The reason is because I know Qik plans to charge for some premium features, and I am thinking decent video quality might end up being one of those premium features. So hopefully Fring gets their stuff together first and forces Qik to have a decent (and still free) app.

Upvote 0

Mine was fring to fring as well, no skype.

Upvote 0
I signed up skype, and my friend has skype already on her cumputer.
I could manage to initiate video calling, but only sound. No video on my side, and she said she could see picture of me, not video.
I am on 3g with 3-4 bars. I think its connection problem.
So, no luck on 3g?
Do I have to be on 4g to get this thing work? Anyone had it on 3g?

Upvote 0
I signed up skype, and my friend has skype already on her cumputer.
I could manage to initiate video calling, but only sound. No video on my side, and she said she could see picture of me, not video.
I am on 3g with 3-4 bars. I think its connection problem.
So, no luck on 3g?
Do I have to be on 4g to get this thing work? Anyone had it on 3g?

And you're doing through Fring? And she can video chat with others without issue with her Skype?

Yes - I do 3G Skype/Fring video chats all the time, no trouble.

Upvote 0
Do you use any mic or just talking in to the phone from about a 1-2' distance?

For a headset, I use a mono earbud, the mic close to the lapel does the trick.

For speakerphone use, I'm anywhere from a foot to a little over an arm's length away while talking - no complaints, and I've asked because I was worried that I wasn't close enough a few times.

Upvote 0
Any attachment available for Droid to make its camera forward facing camera like the one they use for iPhones............Home | iSnapMe.com, so they do video chat basically a mirror attached at the back beaming the front to the back camera.......................?????

Cool - I always wondered if somebody made anything like that.

Upvote 0
Fring/Skype calling worked great for me the 1st night i tried it, but haven't been able to get it to work correctly since. I've uninstalled/reinstalled fring on my EVO, unsubscribed/resubscribed skype add-on, and still i get the same issue - when it finally does connect the call (after terminating call several times), sometimes the video doesn't show, and when it does, it's only for about 5 secs then the video screen turns green (PC video) on both the PC and EVO. I've tried using it on same wifi network, and tried today being miles away from the PC. Today, along with video turning green and distorting/looping, the audio came thru as feedback and no actual voice. I even tried the fring test call and got the audio problem when the chick started talking. Hopefully there will be a fring update or something soon that may help my issues. I'm also going to uninstall/reinstall Skype on the PC as i installed the program before i even hooked the cam/software up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones