Last Updated:

1. godson

godson Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

3. shroden

shroden New Member

This just happened to my phone. I took it to the verizon store and they replaced it no problems.

4. godson

but do you have your phone rooted?

mhotovec thanks for the replay i am going to try some of those techs

5. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Has nothing to do with root, or 2.1 or anything. Its a hardware problem. The fact that it happened when you rooted is just a coincidence.

6. takeyouriphoneandshoveit

takeyouriphoneandshoveit Well-Known Member

This is not a problem due to rooting. This is a problem due to a connection in the power slot coming loos and interfering with the trackball due to the fact they are right on top of each other. I had the same problem with my first eris and took it back to the store and got a new one. it was rooted too, but i dont suggest taking it back with a custom rom, they might start asking questions, so just use a regular 2.1

7. godson

well i i don't think i am using a custom rom i just followed the link that i posted above.

If i am using a custom rom is there a way to flash as the regular rom if can u link it to me. Also how can you tell the difference?

thanks

8. godson

So you think Verizon will replace my phone even if its rooted???

Anyone?

9. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

Not if they look at it :eek: (rooting voids your warranty--they could say "sorry, dude").

10. scary alien

Most folks that root that are going to turn their phone in for a warranty claim go through the un-rooting process. There are several threads out there about doing this. I haven't personally unrooted, so I'm not too familiar with the details, but here's some links about unrooting:

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/86620-fyi-root-re-root-root-unroot-ota-root-all.html

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/66007-rooting-eris-unrooting-eris-all-jazz.html

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/82705-problems-unrooting-desperate-help.html

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/74690-root-2-1-1-5-reversion-problem-please-help.html

godson likes this.
  11. godson

ok thanks for the threads i was googling around and i found that some similar to the threads you posted but it was saying it went back from 2.1 -1.5 i dont wanna go back to 1.5 lol

Also how do i know if i installed a 3rd party ROM i notice some threads saying doesn't support 3rd party

Thanks

12. scary alien

There's probably some info. in the links/threads about getting to 2.1 without going all the way back to 1.5.

If you rooted and didn't install a custom ROM, then you only installed the base root ROM (which is still rooting). If you installed Amon_RA's custom recovery partition and downloaded and flashed a new custom ROM (like Ivan's Eris Official, Evil Eris, White Widow, etc.), you would probably know... Probably doesn't matter too much in the scheme of things (the base root ROM is just an early, buggy version of 2.1 with root capabilities) vs. whether you installed a custom ROM or not.

13. godson

ok makes more sense now.. I did install the Amron_RA custom recovery, Think that's a big deal?

I know you got hold down the volume button and track ball to access it so you think Verizon would notice that i did that

14. scary alien

Hard to say what VZW looks for when a phone is returned to them.

I don't want to speak for the details of unrooting since I've never done it, but I would imagine one of the steps would involve replacing the custom recovery partition with the stock one.

15. godson

ya o well i will just try to give it to them rooted and see what happens and if they say something i will unroot and go to a different vzw store

Thanks for all your help

16. shaggylouie

shaggylouie Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what happened, but: I was reading about phone lag and the track ball issues going to the left (both of which I experienced), and now all of the sudden my phone is back to normal.

Here's what I did:

To improve the lag, I removed the htc weather from the front screen and replaced it with weatherbug and then all of the sudden, my track ball worked again.

I did, however, have my phone plugged into my computer to charge. Maybe since it was plugged in, something internal was moved resulting in a well behaved trackball.

I'm not sure what happened, but I thought I'd share that.

17. shaggylouie

shaggylouie Well-Known Member

Nevermind.

I just connected the power cord again to test it, and once the cord hit the phone the screens moved to the left and the track ball continued to be irregular. Definitely seems to be a trackball-internal-power supply issue.

18. godson

haha shaggylouie got all excited lol i try it anyway worst comes 2 worst they give me a new phone

19. iwear5watches

iwear5watches New Member

Hey guys, I know this is an old thread, but hopefully I can still get an answer. My sister had the HTC Eris and she just got the iPhone, so she let me have her old Eris. It's much faster than the LG Ally I had and it has way more features, but it's just as useless as the Ally because of this stupid left turning wheel problem that seems to be ubiquitous on these phones.

So my question is, if I go into a verizon store and tell them about the problem, am I likely to get a replacement Eris? I don't know if I'll be eligible since I am the second owner, but I just got it from my sister and it was doing the same thing to her before she switched to the iPhone, plus this is her 2nd Eris, as the first one was doing the same thing. Is anyone familiar enough with Verizon's return policies as to make an educated guess on what they'll say?

20. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

As far as I know, the Eris has a 1 year limited warranty. If her original purchase was less than a year ago, you may get a replacement. Otherwise, you'll have to see.