From 1.6 to 2.2Support

1. dudeman1996

dudeman1996 Well-Known Member

I'm getting an LG Optimus GT540 soon and it runs on Android 1.6. I've seen recently that 2.2 has now come out, and I've been looking for a way to update the Optimus to 2.2 but all I could find was the LG Updater Software but i'm not too sure about using this because when I check what the new firmware available for the GT540 it says that the latest firmware is V10a. Now I'm not sure if updating this way will replace Android 1.6 and put on some other new firmware from LG.
    [​IMG]

Now I also saw on the Android developer website, the Android SDK. Could I use this to update the LG to 2.2? If I can, can someone tell me how because it looked pretty complicated on the developer site. And also are there any specifications that the LG needs to have in order to run 2.2?

Thanks in advance :)

Advertisement
    :
  2. he6rt6gr6m

he6rt6gr6m Well-Known Member

Optimus won't be getting 2.2 I don't think. Just 2.1 this month, apparently.
  3. dudeman1996

Hmm i guess it's better than nothing, how'd you know this?

4. he6rt6gr6m

There are pictures of Thai and Russian GT540's with the firmware on it.

Also, there's another thread on this forum which I've posted a photo on.
  5. dudeman1996

Okay cool, I saw the photo, i guess we just gotta wait till around the 15th, hopefully we'll get the update, just don't understand why 2.1 an not 2.2 :confused:

6. he6rt6gr6m

Everything needs testing, and this has been tested thoroughly.

It is currently available through the LG website, according the the folks over at MoDaCo, however it is unacceptable for the time being. It does point towards an update coming, I believe.
  7. dudeman1996

Are you saying it is or isn't out yet? :confused:

8. he6rt6gr6m

I'm saying the update is there on the website, but it isn't accessible... yet. ;)

9. dudeman1996

Ahh yeah, I saw the 'forbidden' link on the site, I'm sure someone will get that link working soon ;) and that email is just automated, i got the same thing :S

10. he6rt6gr6m

If the 14th/15th/16th date is correct, then that part of the site will probably be unlocked in due course. One way or the other, I believe 2.1 is coming soon for some Countries, if not all. If it only happens in some Countries, then we simply update our phones with the ROM of the other Country. :)
  11. dudeman1996

Yeah, i guess thats true. But wouldn't it be different or something if we use a different ROM?

12. he6rt6gr6m

Well, yeah. There'll be bug-fixes and all that. The thing is, you can still pick a Language, so there wouldn't be a problem reading stuff.
  13. dudeman1996

Okay cool, i'll be checking the updater for the next few days :p

14. he6rt6gr6m

Come back if you find something, because I can't be arsed doing it myself. :D
  15. dudeman1996

Hahahaha, okay will do :p

16. motters.scott

motters.scott New Member

well... just got off of the phone from LG.
    The advisor there knew all about the upgrade. He said it's in the UK for testing, It has already been released in Ukraine, Russia, China and Northern Africa. But he assured me that the upgrade to 2.1 will ne available this week.... Good knews i think!!!!

posted this info to Modaco too
  17. Kostas

Kostas Well-Known Member

Its good to hear we ll be getting 2.1 soon but still we should be trying to get 2.2 on this baby. Have you had problems with the limited internal storage ? I sure have had a few. The 2.2 update is critical. Have you heard anything about it ? Do you know what the situation with the custom roms is concerning the LG GT 540 ?
  18. motters.scott

motters.scott New Member

there is a bit of custom rom info on android.modaco.com
  19. dudeman1996

Hahahaha, it's amazing how all of a sudden, they know all about the update. That's awsome news! I'll keep checking the site and the update tool and let ya know if it comes out! :D

20. he6rt6gr6m

I'd rather just get 2.1 right now. I'm not bothered about 2.2.
  21. ravisirsi

ravisirsi New Member

Hi Folks,

Please tell me the good news! :) this phone is awesome looking but runs a older version of Android. Even I checked with the local LG support and still waiting for their reply. The biggest advantages are google voice synthesis, maps and obviously capability to install applications on the SD card, as the internal memory on this phone is pretty bad. in few hundred MB's.

Dont forget to ping if anyone has any news on this!

Thanks
    Ravi
  22. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Well-Known Member

We are most likely only ever going to get android 2.1 on the GT540 officially , 2.2 might be unofficially ported to the GT540 at some point.

You need android 2.2 to get the install to the sd feature :(
  23. ravisirsi

ravisirsi New Member

Thanks for the correction man!, yeah then the only option would be unofficial porting with some risks isnt it? :)
  24. Kostas

Kostas Well-Known Member

has anyone noticed that the two new optimus phones announced by LG have almost identical specs but are launching with 2.2 in about a month? they should port it to the gt 540 or maybe there's a way of installing their roms on the gt 540
  25. Talar

Talar New Member

I want to buy one. But the OS 1.6......I'm so sad.