From 1.6 to 2.2Support

Last Updated:

1. dudeman1996

dudeman1996 Well-Known Member

I've been checking the updator software everyday, but the 2.1 doesn't seem to be out yet :( does anyone know a site I could periodically check for this update?

2. morecambe

morecambe New Member

Yeah, that would be awesome. It's hard to find a solid source for the latest LG phone news as well as updates. (the LG blog isn't that informative)
  3. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Well-Known Member

4. he6rt6gr6m

he6rt6gr6m Well-Known Member

There's an application that does just that...
  5. Tinderbox (UK)

Yeah, but does the phone not have to be rooted, also the rooting on the gt540 does seem to work, I tried the easy rooting hack and it did not work for me.

I also tried the UniversalAndroot, and loads of utils that need root say my phone is not rooted.

6. dudeman1996

Yeah that's true. I'm following LG Blog UK on twitter, they're no use :S i guess we're gonna have to keep looking :(

7. collider

collider New Member

not good news,what i sent

Received Date : 14/09/2010 02:48 43
    The type of inquiry : Software/Hardware updates
    Product/Model No. : /GT540

Would like to know when there will be an update from 1.6 to 2.1/2.2 operating system for lg gt540 phone as i was told it would be this month by the man in the shop i bought the phone from.

they replied :(

Dear Mr C

Thank you for your email. At the moment there are no updates available to upgrade to 2.2/2.1. There is no date available as to when this will be released.

If you have any other problem's please don't hesitate to call us.

Best regards,
    LG Electronics UK Helpdesk
    LG Customer Services
    UK: 0844 847 5454 Ireland: 0818 27 6954
    Mon-Fri 9am to 8pm Sat 9am-6pm
  8. he6rt6gr6m

People asking about 2.2 - it's simply not going to happen. Don't ask for them to run before they've even began walking.
  9. Tinderbox (UK)

10. dudeman1996

yeah we all know that 2.2 is just not gonna happen, but i'm getting really annoyed with LG because they tell one person the update is coming this week then tell someone else there's no plans. These people really piss me off
  11. collider

collider New Member

Im with you dudeman and it does annoy me i cant play flash on me phone but tbh i doubt LG care,if its in the pipeline then good and if not theres not lot else we can do(apart from phone and email to death lol)
  12. dudeman1996

Of course LG don't care, all they care about is making money by making more expensive phones, thats why it takes so long for them to update really old firmware! :S
  13. jporch316

jporch316 Well-Known Member

try skyfire browser man - it plays flash as well!

To be fair guys your not gonna get a whole lot more with 2.1 just the live wallpapers and some pretty icons. 1.6 on the optimus is a lot better than other phones - i had a few htc phones and none had bluetooth capabilities - the optimus has!
  14. collider

collider New Member

thanks downing now ;)

15. dudeman1996

WTF i downloaded skyfire to try a flash game, didnt work :| FAIL.
    And the 2.1 update provides more than just that, look it up.

16. he6rt6gr6m

I've been using this for a couple of weeks, and it's really good. I have got rid and decided to use specific apps for YouTube, etc, but SkyFire was good. Might get it again when it's out of Beta.

It plays flash videos.

And 2.1 won't offer flash games for the Optimus. That much I am sure of.
  17. dudeman1996

Yeah i know 2.1 wont give the flash games, i dont really watch flash videos on my phone, i got youtube for that :p I just wanna know why LG are f*****ng with us on this update :mad:

18. he6rt6gr6m

Well, it's either release an update that could potentially f*ck up, or release an update which has been thoroughly tested.

I know which one I'd prefer. I wouldn't want another instance of the whole 'Xbox 360 update causing RROD's' thing a couple of years back. Would you?

Patience. It's only really going to add a few more apps to the market place, in the grand scheme of things.
  19. jporch316

jporch316 Well-Known Member

Enlighten me

The holy grail for android 1.6 users was bluetooth file transfer- but we already got this.

- multiple gmail accounts
    I only got one
    - voice controls
    - live wallpapers
    yeah cool , but probably gonna suck the life ouuta your battery
    - google earth
    can get it anyways
    - flash support
    only videos which i can get already
    - more homescreens
    LG have already given us this

Have I missed anything?

Dont get me wrong I want the update but the phone is cool just the way it is
  20. soulclaimed

soulclaimed Member

what about app and game compatability?
  21. he6rt6gr6m

That's what I mentioned above. Really, this update is just to get more apps in the Market. :D
  22. dudeman1996

I quote from the Android site:
    'Android virtual keyboard:
    An improved keyboard layout to makes it easier to hit the correct characters and improve typing speed.
    The framework's multi-touch support ensures that key presses aren't missed while typing rapidly with two fingers.
    A smarter dictionary learns from word usage and automatically includes contact names as suggestions.

Refreshed UI with actionable browser URL bar enables users to directly tap the address bar for instant searches and navigation.
    Bookmarks with web page thumbnails.
    Support for double-tap zoom.
    Support for HTML5:
    Database API support, for client-side databases using SQL.
    Application cache support, for offline applications.
    Geolocation API support, to provide location information about the device.
    <video> tag support in fullscreen mode.'

There would also be performance updates and you'll get more fps from a game.

You have been enlightened.

23. dudeman1996

24. Tinderbox (UK)

Once 2.1 is released, will those not having an sim free gt540 , will we not have to wait for our mobile operators , O2 , Orange, T-mobile ect, to release their version?
  25. OBL98

OBL98 Active Member