• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help From 1.6 to 2.2

I quote from the Android site:
'Android virtual keyboard:
An improved keyboard layout to makes it easier to hit the correct characters and improve typing speed.
The framework's multi-touch support ensures that key presses aren't missed while typing rapidly with two fingers.
A smarter dictionary learns from word usage and automatically includes contact names as suggestions.

Browser:
Refreshed UI with actionable browser URL bar enables users to directly tap the address bar for instant searches and navigation.
Bookmarks with web page thumbnails.
Support for double-tap zoom.
Support for HTML5:
Database API support, for client-side databases using SQL.
Application cache support, for offline applications.
Geolocation API support, to provide location information about the device.
<video> tag support in fullscreen mode.'

There would also be performance updates and you'll get more fps from a game.

You have been enlightened.

- Android keyboard
makes no difference we got the LG version
- Browser
browser does what i want already

Im not knocking 2.1 - I just think a lot is made of this update that most users wont really notice

As for apps - i havent come accross any that i couldnt have due to android version - Im not a fan of games but i can see why some would need a greater version of android

Just dont expect too much!!!

Upvote 0
Now 2.2 would make all the difference - installing apps to SD card is something that I think we all would find useful!

Who knows - maybe LG will suprise us all.

I used a HTC tattoo for the best part of the last year and that was 1.6 but didnt have half the functionality of the optimus. Due to the screen size i couldnt get quite a lot of apps either - there was never going to be an upgrade to the tattoo which has probably given me a different perspctive on this debate.

Im happy that the LG provided me with bluetooth file transfer, better res screen - many more apps and games due to screen size, and the ability to switch from native android and the LG UI (which i quite like)

Upvote 0
I see what your saying, but some features are better, like the double-tap zoom in the browser, I like that a lot because my old phone had double-tap zoom and it's really convenient.

I've come across lots of apps on AppBrain that I couldn't download because of the 1.6 compatibility.

And it's the end of the week and still no update, even though LGMobile Phone S/W Updater says 'GT540 OS upgrade guide (Software release soon)'.

Upvote 0
i am not sure whether the update is available or not because i am having problems with the LG software tool thingy. sometimes it says there is an update and an updater opens up and starts analysing my phone but then stops at around 20-40% of the first step (depends on its mood apparently) sometimes nothing happens because apparently the drivers haven't been,installed properly and prompts me over and over again to install them. i ve already installed them over a dozen times. i ve also tried it on several different pcs with different results every time. i am beginning to think the update is available but this tool is just too crappy to use. what about you guys ? what is your experience with it? what does it say when you run it?does the start updating button ever become clickable?do the drivers install properly?

Upvote 0
I just ran the update and it said 2.1 was available , but not for my gt540 , maybe because i have an O2 phone :(

update-1.jpg

Upvote 0
How did you run that update? When I plug my GT540 into the PC and open up the LGUpdate Tool, it says my software is up to date (V10A). Mines from Carphone Warehouse so it's not locked on any particular network. :thinking:

Just one thing I don't like about LG. You can tell whoever makes their software does not speak proper English, just look at the way the options are worded. This is so annoying :mad:

I just ran the update and it said 2.1 was available , but not for my gt540 , maybe because i have an O2 phone :(

update-1.jpg

Upvote 0
for me its pretty easy. sometimes it says i have the latest version (v10d) therefore i dont need an update but sometimes it doesn't say anything but the start updating button becomes clickable and after i click it i get this window. after that all kinds of shit can happen. and yes all the engrish is hilarious! if you open the task manager you ll see the process names in Korean! nice touch!

Upvote 0
The only LG software or drivers i have installed, come with the pc suite iv below, just install the pc suite, then connect you phone and click check for updates, it will download any driver and flashing software it need, just follow the onscreen instructions.

LG Air Sync

That's what I've done already, all the drivers are installed along with the PC Suite but the updater doesn't seem to want to say if/when the update is coming.

for me its pretty easy. sometimes it says i have the latest version (v10d) therefore i dont need an update but sometimes it doesn't say anything but the start updating button becomes clickable and after i click it i get this window. after that all kinds of shit can happen. and yes all the engrish is hilarious! if you open the task manager you ll see the process names in Korean! nice touch!

You said you have V10D. Where's your phone from? Because my phone's from Carphone Warehouse and not locked on any network and it has V10A.

Upvote 0
Yeah, different phones in different have different firmware versions for some reason, no idea why :thinking:

well yes i dont really know what these code names mean and if different countries get phones with different firmware versions. if you go to settings , about ,you can see the version and the date at which it was compiled(presumably)

Upvote 0
Well using this LG Air Sync didnt do any better. It says theres no response from the phone and nothing happens.It did try to install some drivers even though i had already installed them earlier.Maybe because my copy of windows isnt activated so the optional downloads service isnt working maybe theres something this thing needs that windows cant download.I dont see what else i can do

Upvote 0
No i ve made sure its not in mass storage mode. By the way sync mode is that something i should be aware of? Theres one option under SD card and phone storage called Mass storage only.This is the one i unchecked to try and connect.

But anyway thats probably not the issue sine some times it works sometimes it doesnt and all that.

Upvote 0
have you tried unistalling all the lg software and drivers, then re-boot and install only the pc-suite in the link below, I have used both Win7 32bit and 64bit and they spot my gt540 without any problems , but make sure your phone is not connected while you install the pc-suit software, then connect the phone and start the software.

LG Air Sync

No i ve made sure its not in mass storage mode. By the way sync mode is that something i should be aware of? Theres one option under SD card and phone storage called Mass storage only.This is the one i unchecked to try and connect.

But anyway thats probably not the issue sine some times it works sometimes it doesnt and all that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones