• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

from 2.1 to gingerbread

bbabenko

Lurker
Nov 9, 2010
Hey guys,

Let me first acknowledge that I am a n00b. Now that we have that settled, here's my question. I just got a brand new unlocked Nexus 1, everything is stock etc. It was shipped to me with 2.1, build EPE54B. When I check for updates (about phone->system updates), it says that no updates are available. I have tried the checkin trick, and I get a "success" response, but nothing after that.

Question: considering that Gingerbread might come out in 2 days, should I even bother trying to get Froyo on this thing? I suppose I could do a manual update, but I've had a hard time finding the appropriate files -- it looks like they are no longer available from the google servers, and I'm paranoid of downloading the update.zip from somewhere untrustworthy. I guess my main question is, when they roll out the Gingerbread OTA, will it update my phone directly from 2.1 to Gingerbread?

Thanks!

Thanks for the info rusty! I guess i'll just wait and see how the next couple days unfold and then try to find out from HTC if the gingerbread OTA will update me straight from 2.1. Otherwise I'll have to get my hands dirty :p

I doubt Google will do the OTA when they announce Gingerbread. Most likely it's to release the Gingerbread SDK.

It took us a month AFTER Google announched Froyo before the OTA was rolled out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones