• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

From 2.3 to 4.1?

Reactions: breadnatty08
Upvote 0
No it is not the Y-300. That post in the root section was to get info to root that phone. Good info from several allowed me to get it done.
It is an unknown brand name phone I bought from a "bad" supplier. I say bad because they advertised the phone as having 4.1 on it. Well with the help of many persons here, it has been shown they rigged the phone to show 4.1 when it still has 2.3 on it. I am having a hard time getting them to allow a return. Maybe time to start threatening them for false advertising.
Not knowing much, if anything, about changing the os on a phone, I was hoping the experts here had information as to if this could be done. It looks like it is more involvement than I was expecting.

Upvote 0
It's a bad idea to buy no-name phones. Usually have deceptive advertising, very low quality hardware, and no support.

If you need cheap, get a Moto E or G. Much better bang for your buck, and legit too. I wish people wouldn't support knock-offs in China.
I agree with you on the "junk" from China. I have dealt directly with manufacturers in China on some items and have received quality equipment at a large savings. This phone was from a China junk dealer in the US(at least now I know they are)and the phone was intended, by me, for only one use and not as a phone. I just needed it as a display for some information. I have even found other places in the US that sell this phone but they even stated in the statistics that it has Android 2.3(displays 4.1). That least they were a "little" more honest.
I did not pay much for the phone but I don't like being scammed any more than the next person does. We live and learn......

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones