• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help From 60% to DEAD, then back.

Fiyahfawx

Lurker
Nov 22, 2012
I own a Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (I896), my carrier is Rogers. This phone had been nothing but issues for me since day one, but over time, these issues were fixed as I looked into them, most of the issues came from the battery, and how it's battery life was horrible until I conditioned it like I was supposed to.

for most of the year, this phone was amazing, an absolute JOY to work with, until one day, while recovering from an illness, I had dropped my phone directly on it's charging port (the phone was plugged in at that time), causing the battery reading to go from 90% to 2%. Again, not a big concern, because I recharged it, and it worked fine ever since.

Since the beginning of this month, however, the phone had turned from a conveniant, fun-to-use device into a battery nightmare, and it annoys me greatly to deal with it, especially since I am giving the phone away to a friend once I get an iPhone (I just find them to be better to use.)

Now, my phone seems to be having major problems. In short, the phone dies when the battery charge drops to around 60%. Trying to turn it back on results in the 'I896 - Samsung' screen, and then the 'Rogers' screen comes up for a split second before the phone shuts off again. Turn it on after 2 or 3 minutes, and I find that my battery is suddenly low (around 2% - 3%). When I leave the phone in sleep mode, the battery readings climb from 2 - 3 to about 58%. Trying to use it at this point causes my phone to shut off, even when the battery reading is high.

I have tried many task managers, memory boosters and even the Captivate Keep On app that had been suggested by one forum. I have tried removing the battery for 2 -5 minutes, charging as soon as the phone dies and even a factory reset, but none of this seems to fix it.

And before you assume this is when the phone is in sleep mode, this sadly isn't the case. The phone will shut off no matter what happens. I don't want to waste my money on sending the phone to Rogers, since it's December, and I was saving money for christmas gifts for my brothers and my parents, so if there are any ways to fix this mess before I toss the thing out a window, please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

I was considering that, actually, but I'm not sure where to get one in my city.

Also, another question, could this be possible because I charge it even when it isn't low, and then leave it plugged in once it says 100%? I'm considering this as well, but the problems happened so suddenly with no signs of the battery actually wearing.

If it is of any consolation, I studied the battery, and noticed that there was a slight hump in the center of the battery, though, I'm not sure if they were built this way, or not.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones